• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Planking

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Does anybody else know about planking? I wasn't sure if it was just in Australia or if it was a world-wide thing.

Either way if you don't know what it is it's the latest internet craze going around Australia. It basically involves people laying really stiff on the ground or in odd or dangerous situations much like a plank, the photographing it and posting it online, usually on Facebook.

Here are some examples of planking.

Now I'll only post four photos for now, but I could go on. There are literally thousands of these photos online

Planking has taken a more serious turn however when last week when a man in his early 20's fell to his death after attempting to plank on a seven storey building. Not only that but another young man is in hospital in a coma now after another planking incident.

Many people are also losing their jobs all across the country and some people have even been arrested for attempting planking in really dangerous or just downright idiot places (such as on top of a police car).

Here are some links on the issue:

Death fall after planking

More planking charges laid

Death fails to deter planking: Qld police

What do you all think of this craze? It's the general idea now that 'plankers are wankers', but this death as well as all the people losing their jobs and being arrested seems to be driving some people to plank even more.

Also here is a youtube video I just found which is a compilation of planking photos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObgXiQEV8g

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Well, it doesn't look fun, to me anyway.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I don't know how this started but it is one of the most stupidest things I have seen. I don't see how people can get off over lying down somewhere.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't know how this started but it is one of the most stupidest things I have seen. I don't see how people can get off over lying down somewhere.
I don't think they really get off on it, it's more about trying to impress other plankers by doing more dangerous and difficult planks.

When I first saw it I thought it was pretty funny, just a bit of mindless fun. But really when people start losing their lives and getting seriously injured over an internet craze then it is pretty ridiculous.

shelgarr

Registered Member
It's also a legitimate exercise used to strengthn abdominal muscles. The coaches have the track kids do it often. They have them get in the position of a normal mens push up, hoisted up with straight arms.

Last edited:

Salochin

Registered Member
Although I think it's a really really stupid craze I honestly can't believe that it's gotten to the point where people think it's so dangerous.

it's really that guys own fault for planking drunk off a balcony. If people want to risk their lives planking on dangerous places it's their decision I guess.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Paradoxically, mankind's greatest strength and weakness is group-think. We can do great things together--we can do stupid things together.

I do have to say that there is almost an artistic quality to a few of these pictures, honestly. I think there are a lot of people doing it that are also complete morons, too, but I can't generalize them all.

What's funny is this is nothing new.

Flagpole sitting of the early 20th century is strikingly similar: Pole-sitting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's funny, we were joking about a previous user-troll here a few days ago who had been ripping on people for conformity, but here you go. We're able to do amazing things through group-think, like topple empires through pacifists following and borrowing each others strength--or, we can nearly kill ourselves taking pictures of each other reenacting a fad (whose purpose and origin we don't quite understand or agree on) for no real reason other than having another excuse to get the FB comments.

Impact

V.I.P.
Planking is fucking retarded. I've seen a lot of my friends talking about it on facebook (I think it's more a craze that's sweeping Aus and NZ than anywhere else so far)

I will say though, one of my friends posted a picture of him planking in what looks like mid air. It's pretty fantastic, and i'm still not sure how he did it. I'll see if I can find the pic to put here

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
it's really that guys own fault for planking drunk off a balcony. If people want to risk their lives planking on dangerous places it's their decision I guess.
This is true, although I must admit that all of the planking photos I've seen the ones that have actually really impressed me and made me go 'wow' have been ones where if someone fell, they could have been seriously hurt or even killed. Maybe it really is just boring unless risk is involved?

Also Steg I'm pretty sure there is no purpose at all for planking haha, it's about as useless as useless can get. As for the origin I'm still unsure, but I could almost put my money on a few guys drunk one night who suddenly though laying like a plank would be a bit of a laugh.

So it's big in NZ too then Lauren? I had a feeling it might spread to other countries soon enough. I wonder how long it will be until this all dies out.

Last edited: