• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Planetary Annihilation (amazing new RTS)

dDave

V.I.P.
Since the founding of the genre, RTS games have been commonly bound within a map and you have a fairly limited number of units. Here's a game that will completely revolutionize the way RTS games work forever.

Planetary Annihilation

Planetary Annihilation. If you're familiar with the game Total Annihilation from the late 90s this is a sequel for all intensive purposes. Many of the same people that made that game are now working on this project.

The game just came out in beta (available on Steam) and will likely officially release relatively soon. There will be tons of units on screen at the same time (not to mention a crazy huge library of units to choose from) but that's not the best part of the game. What makes this game so unique is that you can build and fight on and across multiple planets and asteroids all in live time. This is something that's never been done before and it looks like it will be fantastic.

The system requirements concern me because the original game can be so heavily modded that it will bring even my computer to it's knees.

Here are the system requirements though...

Windows Vista, 7 or 8, Linux, or Mac OS/X 10.7+
We recommend 64-bit version, but 32-bit is supported
Dual core processor
We highly recommend having a DX11 capable card, and if discrete graphics (ATI/Nvidia), at least 1GB of dedicated system memory, and if running UMA integrated graphics such as Intel HD 3000/4000, at least 4GB of system memory
Open GL capable video card with Shader 3.0 support
Internet connection for internet connected gameplay
Additional requirements still to be set
I was not at all expecting to see Open GL on there but I guess it does make sense.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I saw the preview of the game on Steam and it looks awesome. I'm going to reserve my real opinion for when I can play it. I know my current PC can handle it for sure but cashflow is an issue.

dDave

V.I.P.
I saw the preview of the game on Steam and it looks awesome. I'm going to reserve my real opinion for when I can play it. I know my current PC can handle it for sure but cashflow is an issue.
All of my friends (other than one) are waiting to get the game when it actually releases rather than just being available in beta. I want to get the full edition of the game so I can play story mode.

I'm not sure how likely it is for the game to get any cheaper, $60 seems to be the going rate these days (remember back when we all thought $30 was really expensive?)

I know for sure that my computer can handle the game but like I said, the original game can cripple my computer and I'm sure that with all the mods that will be available for this game that it will be like that again (I'm good with that, I've been itching to use all of this power on one game :lol:)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I haven't played too many RTS games, but I've always thought they looked like a lot of fun, and this one looks pretty awesome. I wish I had a computer that I could play it on. :(

dDave

V.I.P.
Hoes, RTS is a really fun genre. Unfortunately, they aren't nearly as popular a they used to be but I love them.

You should be able to play this game when you get around to building a new rig one of these days. Maybe I'll even play with you.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Looks interesting. I've enjoyed RTS in the past.

Some RTS games I have played are

Age of Empires 2
Age of Empires 3
Warcraft 3
The Settlers IV
Battle Realms

I've never played a sci-fi one before so if I get this it will be a first. It's on my radar now.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Should be pretty awesome...like the last one. I don't usually buy games when they come out...I prefer to wait for prices to drop. It pays to stay one step behind in the technological cycle I think...

My computer will definitely crush that game though

dDave

V.I.P.
Should be pretty awesome...like the last one. I don't usually buy games when they come out...I prefer to wait for prices to drop. It pays to stay one step behind in the technological cycle I think...

My computer will definitely crush that game though
Good luck waiting for the price to drop enough for waiting to be worth it. It's been in development for years and if the game is popular (which translates to it being good in most cases) then you won't likely see any price drop worth waiting for.

I paid $40 for StarCraft II years ago and... oh look, it's still the same price today.

You might actually want to buy this one when it comes out ;). Who knows though? There might be a special deal on Steam sometime.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Hoes, you should try Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2. It's cheap if you want to buy it legitimately. It's also not a game anyone will come after you for pirating because it is fairly old. IMO it is one of the best RTS ever made and a necessary entry level game for anyone wanting to try the genre.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I was watching some live streaming of the Planetary Annihilation beta for a while last night. Looks pretty interesting and definitely something I think I would enjoy. I'd like to get it assuming the machine I hope to build soon can handle it.