• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Plague Is Back, With a Disturbing Twist

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you thought the film Contagion was frightening, this medical plot twist may scare you even more—because it’s real.

Sign of the Apocalypse? Plague Is Back, With a Disturbing Twist - Yahoo News
This doesn't sound good, they are saying these fleas that carry the plague are becoming resistant to the insecticides that is used to control them. This disease can kill up to 60% of the people that catch it. Fortunately, at least now anyway, antibiotics can cure it if caught early. Of course in developing countries antibiotics might not be readily available and in countries where its expensive to see a doctor people might put it off until its too late. In both scenarios more fleas could be infected to spread it even further.

Back when I had dogs and cats I noticed it was getting harder to control the fleas on them. Could have been because I lived in the country but still I kept after them using all sorts of products.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I would be more concerned with the emergence of an drug resistant strain of the disease itself. Which, if the infection is permitted to spread, will be inevitable. For now though, the plague is very treatable if caught soon enough. As for fleas, like with mosquitoes and other disease carrying insects and flying critters, the best solution is to use genetic manipulation to introduce versions of the species that have genes that make them unable to contract human communicable diseases to begin with. Those critters can then spread those genes into the general population.

This type of research is already underway with mosquitoes. Only a small number of mosquito species carry diseases harmful to humans, while other species are immune. Genes from the immune varieties are being spliced into the genomes of the species that are carriers, making them harmless to people as well (well apart from the obvious itchy bite). I am not normally an advocate for GMO's being released into the natural environment, but that ship has long since sailed, so maybe at least we can guide it in a more productive direction.

- Chameleon

Last edited: