• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PK Subban's contract

lucha_HABre

Registered Member
With the breaking news today that the st louis blues have re-signed star defenseman Alex Pietrangelo to a 7 year 45.5 million dollar contract extension. Pk Subban and his agent are smiling huge today. After a phenomenal season which may of ended in a early playoff exit,PK earned himself a norris trophy and a huge chip for his camp to use to garner him a new extension. With Alex getting his deal today PK could be laughing all the way to the bank. Alex will be making a AAV of 6.5million per year for 7 years. Pk is clearly worth the same amount but will his camp make Bergevin and the habs pay for low balling him in contract talks last season.

In the end I can see PK walking away next season or before this season starts with a 8 year(which is max) 60million dollar contract which is a AAV of 7.6 million per season.

Your thoughts on PKs possible contract situation.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It all depends how he does this season, but I imagine if healthy he'll have another stellar season.

1. It's his contract year
2. It's Olympic year

I imagine Subban' camp will be demanding max money, and I believe Bergevin will have no choice but to give it to him. You cannot lose a player of his caliber, especially when he's just entering the peak of his career. He's a focal point on our blue line and after winning the Norris trophy this past season, he'll be looking to get paid the big money.

mt_winston

He'll definitely get minimum Pietrangelo's contract (obviously), but I think Bergevin will hold out until near next summer so that his hype dies down slightly, and he won't have the media hounding him as much. As of right now Subban is "The" defenseman of the league, but in a 8 months, he'll be a "very good/top" defenseman, which generally leads to a contract a bit less. Only problem is the All-Star game and/or the Olympics added onto his resume could mean some more problems. So really, all in all, he'll be getting a lot. haha.

lucha_HABre

Registered Member
Yes but what if he pulls of the rare back to back norris trophys if that happens MB should just pass over a blank contract let pk fill in the blanks himself. Lol

Crypticshock

Registered Member
There's no "if" when it comes to PK's performance. He will perform. He will have another great year to build on to what he started last season. Anything less than a $7M per year cap hit would be amazing for MB... but it ain't going to happen. PK will garner 7.25-8M cap hit per year for 7-8 seasons.

PK must be salivating at this Pietrangelo contract. Who's Alex Pietrangelo's agent?

Don Meehan.

There are also compararisons between PK and Drew Doughty. Who's Drew Doughty's agent?

Don Meehan.

And who is PK Subban's agent?

Yeah, you pretty much figured it out. Life's gonna be good for PK this year.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Subban can lace them up for 5 games and he's still going to get paid a lot money. Let it be from the Habs or pretty much any other team in the NHL. After last season and his Norris trophy, he cemented himself as one of the best D's in the nhl so he'll now be able to negotiate a contract on his terms, not Bergevin's.

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
To tell you the truth, Alex is not worth that much, but when you want someone or something, you tend to over pay. If he gets 6.5 AAV, PK should get 7-7.5 AAV. I have compared them on twitter, PK is better,and I think this is the only 8 year contract Begevin will give to a player for a while. If we don't sign him, some one else will! 100% guarantee!

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Rontzeeez said:
To tell you the truth, Alex is not worth that much, but when you want someone or something, you tend to over pay. If he gets 6.5 AAV, PK should get 7-7.5 AAV. I have compared them on twitter, PK is better,and I think this is the only 8 year contract Begevin will give to a player for a while. If we don't sign him, some one else will! 100% guarantee!
I disagree. Pietreangelo is one of the best up and coming defensemen in the nhl...hell he might already be there. His overall game is great, offensively he can rush the puck and score it with the best of them. Defensively, he still needs to work on his defensive-zone converge but other than that he can hold his own. He also as size, and he isn't afraid to push his body around.

Willey101

I have no doubt that PK is going to sign for 5-7 years the question is how much will he get per season. Furthermore nobody knows his mindset as to how much he wants either. Yes often times a players puts himself before the team and only cares about himself but then there are guys out there who even with contracts, always think team first.

Think about Crosby making $8.7 million. If h wanted to he could have easily received an extra $1.3-$2.3 million per year but he took the "discount" in oirder to build a better team around him. Same think for the Wings for so many years where they set a team policy that Lidstrom at just $6.7 million would be the highest paid player and that if you wanted to remain part of the team, you'd have to accept less.

I am hoping that Bergevin instills a similar mentality. You determine who the highest paid player is goign to be, and maybe that is PK but likely that is Price, and you set that at max.

$6.5 million per season for PK seems fair for both sides.