Pittsburgh Steelers, best NFL franchise in history?

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Millz, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Pittsburgh now has more Super Bowl Championships then any franchise in history with 6. I believe Dallas and San Francisco each have 5.

So does that make them the best franchise in NFL history?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't believe so. I still believe the Dallas Cowboys are the best NFL franchise in history. Like you mentioned they won five Championships, and even though it's one less than the Steelers I still believe that the Cowboys has had the best franchise in the history in the NFL, and no this isn't a bias opinion as some people might think.

3. Millz

I know this is going to be a hard question to answer but why is Dallas better? Because more people (not you) are on their bandwagon then most other franchises? Because they are "America's Team?"

I suppose you could look at overall record but that'll take some time unless there's a website to look at. I mean Super Bowls are the measuring stick in football.

Dallas is more popular but I dont know if that makes them "better."

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

No.

There's plenty of other factors to consider a franchise "the best" before calling them one, such as luck. You could've said the same thing about the 49ers back when they were dominating, or the Raiders or even the Dolphins, doesn't mean they were the best or still are.

I'll say the same thing my friend told me during the 2000 Olympics: a whole bunch of gold medals doesn't make you God.

5. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

I will say yes simply because they have the most. The players, coaches, media, and even many fans will tell you that success in the NFL is measured in Super Bowl wins. They have the more than anyone else. Easy answer.

Deeper than that though, I think by winning so many with such dominance on the one hand, and then with a formula that respects the history of the game in the free agency era (run+defense=win) they deserve to be considered one of the best. The owners have done a lot with a little at times, and still find away to keep a good product out there.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'm no saying no because I'm a Ravens fan.

I'm saying no because it's impossible to pick a best when the NFL, especially now, is so streaky in their franchises and consistency. A 5-11 team being in the AFD championship the next season? The Cardinals in the Super Bowl? You just don't know what will happen next in the NFL and no team is the clear cut "Yankees" of football yet.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Millz, if you compare both franchise and the players that played for them, then you have to give the edge to Dallas. I just believe overall they were better, like you said it is hard to explain. Even though the Steelers won six Championship and the Cowboys just one doesn't mean Pittsburgh are better. It would be much different if it was Steelers winning five more than Dallas, but it's only one.

I just believe the Cowboys overall franchise as been better than the Steelers overall franchise, in the history the NFL.

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Dominance? What dominance, the only reason they won the 2005 game was because the refs were scamming the whole time and they only barely skated by in the last minute this year against a team people thought they were supposed to stomp.

Respect in this game couldn't be further from the truth, there were a lot of personal fouls, just ask James Harrison.

9. Millz

I hear what you're saying but I dunno. The Steelers of the 70s were, IMO, more dominate then any streak of any franchise in history and that includes over the Pats, Boys and Niners. I mean they won 4 Super Bowls in 6 years in the 70s and now in the age of parody they've won 2 outta the last 4.

You can't go off just Super Bowl titles but them having more and with their history I think they are the best of all time. I guess there's a lot of personal opinion here.

10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Might as well not repeat, just agree with what you said.

I'm not sure people can really put the Pats in just because of what they need in this decade.

But as you said having 4 titles in 6 years and 2 in 4 is a major accomplishment. You have the team with the hardest schedule winning the Super Bowl this year and that proves they can be the best. With the team they have now, I believe they can do it again within the next few years. All they need is their dominant running game back which I think they showed spurts of it this year with Moore.. Parker needs to be 100% and Mendenhall needs to stop fumbling when he gets healthy again.