• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Pittsburgh Pirates vs San Francisco Giants(Wild Card Game)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The second Wild Card game goes Wednesday night when the Giants travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Giants. Baumgarner, who's been one of the best pitchers in the National League this season. Pittsburgh will counter with Volquez who's been up and down all year. This game could go either way. Personally, I think Cole should have taken the bump, but that's just me.

Use this thread to discuss this Wild Card game.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Re: Pittsburgh Pirates vs San Francisco Giants(Wild Card Gam

Well, Gerritt Cole pitched yesterday so I don't think he'd be ready in time to pitch this game too haha

I think San Francisco has a damn good shot against Volquez because you don't know what you'll get but homefield advantage is a big deal too.

If history tells us anything though this should be a World Series year for San Fran since they won in 2010 and 2012 and are good every other year haha

goingtopshelf

Registered Member

If that crowd is anything like last year in the Wild Card game Pirates will be jacked. It was like a Steelers crowd at a baseball game they were loud from start to finish.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

I'm a Dodgers fan so I'd rather see the Pirates win, in all honesty Pittsburgh should win this game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

The Pirates just announced their roster for tonight. No Liriano or Cole, so if they're in a jam and need a lot of innings from someone, it won't be those guys. (Giants say they're carrying 10 pitchers just for tonight, which seems excessive, but I'm sure last night influenced that decision.)

Well, that was as anticlimatic as it could get. No-contest, Giants steamroll through Pirates and headed to Washington to face the Nationals. Curious to see how this one will unfold.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

One of the lessons of this season seems to be that if you're willing to take a chance or be patient with former phenoms who disappoint or get hurt, they might eventually pay off.

Volquez
Arrietta
Hughes
Snider
Liriano

There are more I'm forgetting.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Bumgarner ended the magical season of the Pittsburgh Pirates with an 8-0, four-hit, 10-whiff shutout in the National League wild-card game. And now, in your all-time ranks of pitchers who have spun a shutout, with double-digit strikeouts, in a winner-take-all postseason baseball game, the list looks like this:

Sandy Koufax in 1965.
Justin Verlander in 2012.
Madison Bumgarner on an unforgettable Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2014/st ... asterpiece