Pittsburgh Penguins Fire Head Coach

February 16, 2009

PITTSBURGH —

Michel Therrien, his team fading in the Eastern Conference playoff race less than a year after making the Stanley Cup finals, was fired as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ coach on Sunday night and replaced by minor-league coach Dan Bylsma. Therrien oversaw one of the NHL’s best single-season turnarounds in his first full season in 2006-07 and coached the Penguins to within two victories of the Stanley Cup last year, but this team has struggled badly since mid-November and is danger of not making the playoffs. General manager Ray Shero decided to fire Therrien after a 6-2 loss in Toronto on Saturday night in which the Penguins led 2-1 going into the third period. The Penguins are 27-25-5 after winning 47 games each of the last two seasons and are five points out of the final conference playoff spot. They also are 1-7-1 in their last nine road games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Please put a source in your thread.

This doesn't surprise me one bit, the Penguins are definitely under achieving, and they should be contending for first place in the Eastern Conference.

Should be interesting to see if they can change things around with a new coach.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah theres simply no excuse for the Pens to be as mediocre as they are this season. With the extreme talent they've got up front in the middle and in the back they should be running away with the Eastern Conference. So now the question is, who takes the bench as Head Coach? TO be honest I cant even think of who's out there. Maybe an appearance from Mario Lemieux for the rest of the season until they get someone else signed?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, it doesn't look it made a difference because the Penguins lost to the Islanders in a shootout yesterday. I really hope this Penguins team misses the playoffs. I don't really like them a lot.

Turbo

Registered Member
this didn't really surprise me since they've been debating moving him out since the summer when Hossa didn't re-sign. i think they are overloaded with top players. too many good players can ruin a team. plus lets face it, this was Fluery's first full season and he just couldn't carry the weight left by crosbitch.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
yeah theres simply no excuse for the Pens to be as mediocre as they are this season. With the extreme talent they've got up front in the middle and in the back they should be running away with the Eastern Conference. So now the question is, who takes the bench as Head Coach? TO be honest I cant even think of who's out there. Maybe an appearance from Mario Lemieux for the rest of the season until they get someone else signed?
Looks like Dan Bylsma was promoted from the minor league affiliant.

Its amazing how the mighty fall. He takes a team to the minors, gets an extension and then gets fired. Sucks to be a coach sometimes.