Atari Pitfall 2600

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Did anybody get what the point of pitfall 2600 was? I most certainly did not understand how to win the game, it seemed to me that all you did was run around doing nothing and repeating yourself over and over.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I never could figure much of that game out. I have the original, but I'd rather spend my time playing Carnival, Donkey Kong, or those stupid compilation cartridges of the same game with different tweaks to make it different.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most older games weren't very "immersive" though. Look at pacman, or the original Donkey Kong. Sure they were fun, and still are fun, but nowadays they are in an entirely seperate category from the new games coming out.

Comparing Pacman to Half-Life 2 for example... Sure they are both videogames, but, they really can't be compared. Games need to be compared to games in their same generation unless they are remade, or a sequal is made on a later system.

For example, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, for Genesis, SNES, and PC was an awesome sidescroller that FAR surpassed any of the ones before it. Oddly enough the Pitfall games that came out on future systems (Playstation and I think maybe a few otehrs in that era) were all horrible.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Pitfall was a blast, was a great sidescroller, and to my knowledge had no ending (to say I never beat it)

but it was a kickass game, something Mario would do years later (though it had a ending, if you played through it twice)

it was really the start of platforming games

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hey Samus, did you ever play the SNES Pitfall? It was the same concept as the 2600 version but was a lot longer of a game. I have always loved jungle games (and anything jungle related really) and I really liked this game.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I only played it as a rental... once. so 3 days with the game wasnt enough to get to know it... that said, I didnt like it very much, why I only rented it once

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
I never enjoyed the original Pitfall very much. It didn't seem to have much of a point to it and I was terrible at making those jumps. That soured me on later versions, so I never tried any of them.

There was one exception to that. When I played Marvel: Ultimate Alliance not too long ago on PlayStation 2, it had a section of the game that was a take on the 2600 Pitfall. It looked just like it and was actually pretty fun.