Pitchers on steroids

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

The discussion is always about how these hitters in the "steroid era" were hitting balls ridiculous distances. Cough, Bret Boone...cough...cheater...

But nobody talks about the fact most of the steroid users were probably pitchers!! It helps them just as much as it does hitters. I know its not the sexy thing to talk about but look at Roger Clemens. Steroids, HGH, whatever help pitchers a ton because of the wear and tear that goes on their shoulder and elbows.

Thoughts?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Perfect example is Eric Gagne, before starting to take steroids he was an average pitcher at best. He starts taking steroids and starts throwing 100 mph fastballs, saves 84 straight games. Gets off the sauce, starts getting elbow injuries can barely make a team, his ERA is in the high 5 or 6.

But when it comes to Clemens, I still believe he would of been a dominant pitcher during the time he took the stuff(that's if he really did) if he didn't do it.

I think steroids benifit a hitter more than a pitcher though, but you still need to know how to command your ball, have great location.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah but the same can be said about batters BR. You still need to be able to contact the ball. 'Roids will give you the boost but your eyes and your reflexes still need to the work. Plenty of guys have been nabbed for 'roid abuse who have been bad/mediocre their whole lives.

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

Kevin Brown.

Brown for many years, was known for throwing one of the nastiest sinkers in the game, an absolute worm killer. It would top out at about 92 MPH. He wouldn't strike out a lot of guys, but he'd keep the ball on the ground and chew up innings.

1998 rolls around. Brown's fastball out of nowhere starts hitting 98 MPH, and he's fanning hitters left and right. He also struck out 16 batters in a playoff game against the Astros that year. Looked absolutely unhittable.

He gets a huge contract from the Dodgers, has two great years, then little by little, nagging injuries started to pop up, the type of injuries that you wouldn't normally associate with a pitcher.

He gets traded to the Yankees, and can't stay on the field. He is then outed in a book that he had been juicing up starting in the 1998 season, which helped him get that huge contract.

He was an example of a pitcher juicing. John Rocker admitted to using the juice as well.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm not sure I'd say more pitchers used. Also, I couldn't say if it helps pitchers more or batters more.

Also, it's kinda weird that out of all the roiding batters, you single out Boone... :lol: . What's up with that?

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think Brady Anderson is still one of the most obvious choices for outting roid users.

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I remember calling out Bret Boone about being a user before anybody was even talking about steroids haha.

I think Brady Anderson is more obvious but Boone would be my second choice, lol.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I knew that Boone was on something because his numbers sky rocketed and it then he just dropped off the entire map.

Brady Anderson was pretty obvious as well he, before 1996(the year he hit 50) his highest home run total was 21 home runs which is a pretty big jump.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't disagree, but I would like to point out that there were single season wonders before we had steroids.

Look at Norm Cash in '61 (or Roger Maris in '61).