• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Konshentz

Konshentz
Depp back for new 'Pirates' film coming in 2011 - Yahoo! News

ANAHEIM, California – Avast! Disney says a new "Pirates of the Caribbean" film is on the horizon.

Johnny Depp sailed onstage Friday on a pirate ship at the Anaheim Convention Center to help announce the forthcoming installment of Disney's blockbuster film franchise. He was welcomed with a rousing standing ovation.

Depp will reprise his role as Capt. Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," slated for summer of 2011. It's the fourth in a series.
Are you a fan of the series? What do you think about a fourth film?

It looks like Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom will not be reprising their roles.

I enjoyed all three films. They were defintely good popcorn movies. Although neither Bloom or Knightley are very good actors, I'm kind of 'eh' about seeing it if ther characters aren't returning. I suppose I'd probably still pay the 8 bucks to see it in the theater, since this is surely a 'theater only' movie for me.

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, it's interesting though because the fact that Kiera and Orlando chose not to continue their contract had a lot to do with how the third movie was rewritten. The producers decided to keep Jack's character intact so they could use him in a 4th movie. I think it ruined the plot for 3 if you ask me.

Nevertheless hopefully the 4th one is back up to par with the 1st. I think Jack Sparrow is easily the most dynamic screen presence in the series. I'd just as soon watch the 1st one, skip 2 and 3 and then see the 4th and perhaps a 5th and have a box set of 1, 4 and 5 come out. 2 and 3 were mediocre at best.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
To be honest, I'm getting pretty sick of Pirates of the Caribbean. It was definatly an awesome movie and concept when it first came out, but I see this being like almost every other movie series. One or two great movies, but over all a large waste of money

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's been a while since I've watched them, so I can't speak based off how I think 4 might relate to #3's plot.

I do remember that I hated #2 with a passion, because the entire movie was basically introducing new things to be continued in #3. #3 I liked, in part because it finally resolved things started in #2.

No Bloom AND no Knightly? I wonder if it will be a completely separate story, just following Captain Sparrow.

I'm confident they could make this a good movie, but after what they did with #2, I'm not so sure they actually will. I'm not writing them off, but I'm not sold on it yet either.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
They were all a lot of fun.

I'm actually happy their ditching the secondary characters. Hopefully it means they'll bring on a new cast of characters since Captain Jack is a great all-around character who will most likely combine with any character type pretty well.

redsoxocd

living on the border
I really like the first and second ones but I think that they should put an end to making them

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's been a while since I've watched them, so I can't speak based off how I think 4 might relate to #3's plot.
I think they'll go with the plot hinted at the end of 3 when Jack has the circular map or whatever it was. He opened it and the middle was missing and they kind of made it seem like that was leading into a Jack only version.

After all, Will and Elizabeth aren't really in the plot anymore. Nor are they necessary.

Nibbles

meep
From what I gather this film will continue where Sparrow was of in search of the fountain of youth, so is could be interesting.

Impact

V.I.P.
I'll see this one for the same reason i've seen the other ones; Johnny Depp. Although I hate how they left the 2nd and 3rd ones hanging open so they could make a next, i've still enjoyed them all. I don't really think Will and Elizabeth were essential after the first one to be honest, and Keira Knightly just annoys the hell outta me so I think it will be better to just focus on Jack. He's such an interesting character that he doesn't really need a love story going on in the background to make it work.