• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I can't wait for this movie to come out. It comes out on Friday, July 7. I loved the first one. I want to go see this on opening weekend.

Who else can't wait for this movie to come out.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. I am definitely looking forward to this movie. I am right with you on the first one Snipes. I loved it and from what I am hearing so far from reviews the second one is even better than the first.

I'm seeing this one in the theaters for sure.

leopard22

Registered Member
They're having a midnight showing of it tonight in one of the local theaters, but I can't go :( ... I'll have to fit it in on the weekend or something. I can't wait to see it. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

I just read that in the 3rd episode which they filmed just after the second,
Keith Richards (from the Rolling Stones) plays Jack Sparrow's father. I doubt there was much makeup needed to make him ready for the part hehehehe. He's always been a pirate of one type or another I think :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope to see it in the next few days. (hey leopard, I edited your thread to include a spoiler instead of making that text automatically readable. That way people don't get blindsided if they don't want to. :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I just saw it last night and.... :-o

It was very good. The next paragraph contains MANY spoilers... Read the following at your own risk.

I thought the plot was a little shakey, but I think it made up for itself with the added legends and tail of Davy Jones, bringing back Bootstrap Bill, the triangle story with the three characters who want the chest and of course the love triangle... that's another thing altogether though. I thought the effects were great and it really wins this summers "Summer Movie" award. The ending was definitely a cliffhanger, but not nearly as annoying as I had expected. I kept thinking during a big action scene that suddenly we would be watching credits with a big "To be concluded" on the screen. I think it left the audience with enough to be happy with, but also wanting more. Oh, and Jack Sparrow dies.. :D I told you this was a spoiler and I warned you not to read it unless you saw the movie! :D I'm sure he will be back though so it's not really a big deal. :) Oh, and remember to post your replies to this spoiler IN spoiler tags or others will get upset. Thanks!

And that's about all I have to say about that for now. :cool:

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
We saw it last week and I loved every second of it! I'm also a HUGE Johnny Depp fan though, so I may be a bit biased.:D

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Yeah we saw it too..Now I'm gonna make you all mad..
I didn't think the wovie was all that..The movie was way lacking..They could have done it better.

The movie dragged on and on..Half of the movie didn't need to be shown and had nothing to do with the plot at all.
This one seemed to be more of a plug for the new ride..Don't get me wrong, I loved the way the sailors looked and Jack of course, but it seemed to forced.
I'm hopeing the 3rd installment is better..But then again I didn't think POC needed another part, let alone 2more...Should have left well enough alone on this one..

I hate to say it but Lady In the Water was better..:-o :nod:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, numbers don't lie.. It's the highest grossing opening weekend for any movie of all time, so I'm sure they are happy about their decision to make a second one. :) The 3rd really can't be too much different than the 2nd though since it will continue the same storyline. It's not like the difference between the 1st and 2nd.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Ah yes but you have to take the weather in to account. The last two weekends have been the hottest this year. Most of the movie watchers went to see it due to all the hype and to escape the heat..Go look at the movie critic sites even they agree with me.

"It ought to sink from the weight of the cargo, but it's buoyed by another high-wire performance from Depp."

-- Joe Williams, ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
-----------------------------------------------
"Dead Man's Chest suffers from the sequel curse."

-- John Wirt, ADVOCATE (BATON ROUGE, LA)
-------------------------------------------------
"I'll reserve judgment on the entire series until the release of At World's End next year, but for now, Dead Man's Chest is a step backwards."

-- Pete Vonder Haar, FILM THREAT
-----------------------------------------------------
"Pirates of the Caribbean returns to theaters for more summer swashbuckling, only they may have forgotten to buckle their swash."

-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM
-----------------------------------------------------
And there many more reveiws just like these..

Just cause the numbers are high doesn't mean the movie is good. :nod:
like Blair witch,The Village, Signs,there way too many so called Blockbusters that sucked.
And even the last 3 Star Wars weren't that good..They were ok.

But I say they could have done better..They rushed it way too much..

Besides I'm not a lemming like all the rest..I have a mind of my own and I don't follow the crowds.

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I think the plot was a bit thin and unstable compared to the first, but if you can look past the mini-quests and tangents and look at the bigger picture it makes for an interesting plot that I found very entertaining. It wasn't better than the first but it wasn't far off either. It was longer, but I didn't mind since I liked most of the action scenes.