Piracy?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bubbles, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

So what do you guys think about piracy? I've considered both sides of the argument. For example: I don't want to spend $20+ on an album for just one song, and I also realize that by downloading music off of a P2P network we're "stealing" from the artists themselves. I get that your either doing it or you're against it, but I'm kinda in the middle. I'm painting the situation grey for myself, because I know it's wrong to download stuff from a P2P Network, but I also feel that artists like Kanye and 50 have enough money to blow on drugs and hookers as it is.

I mean I buy music off iTunes, only if I feel that it's worth it. If it's for independently based artists, not shit like Lindsay Lohan or Selena Gomez. These girls will probably make more money in 10 minutes than I will in my entire life. So, basically we've all downloaded music off a P2P network at one point or another (and if you say you didn't, you're a liar :D) The question is, when it comes to piracy, where do you stand?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

When it comes to piracy I believe the only acceptable answer is "no". I've never done it myself and don't plan to.

Everybody knows it's stealing, so I'm not going to go into that. But even though they know it's stealing they will argue for it anyway just because it fits their agenda/wants.

Just imagine the fines that would happen assuming you ever got caught I've heard stories of people who downloaded a few hundred songs now owing hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions.

A lot of people also try and use the "I wouldn't buy the music anyway" argument. Well if the music is so bad that you wouldn't have bought it anyway then you don't need to be listening to it.

Piracy is stealing by definition (it's a wonder why some people argue that it's not stealing) which is wrong and on top of that it's against the law. What's so bad about actually buying your music?

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Simply because of semantics. When you steal something, someone is out of a product. When you download something, that product still exists. You've only made a copy of it. But I don't see the point in arguing that point anyway, because it's still illegal.

4. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Out of the thousands of songs I've downloaded in the past year, I may have payed for 30 of them. If a published wants to sue me for copyright infringement, let them try to prove it.

I emphasize copy because that's what you're doing: copying it. As was mentioned, you're not stealing, you're making a copy without permission. Because of this, it should remain a civil issue. If a company wants to sue you for pirated music, fine, it's their right, but you shouldn't be arrested or fined for theft by the government.

5. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

Oh, technically, It's also wrong to watch music videos off Youtube, considering 90% of the ups are not official and eventually get removed due to copyright infringement. Well, maybe not, I mean technically you're not making a copy yourself but you're still watching. Or are you? Let's say you use Mozilla,

Name -> AppData -> Local -> Mozilla -> Firefox -> Profiles -> numbers.default -> Cache - > DNumbersFileblah -> VLC Player, I'm now watching Youtube videos on my desktop. Yay for looping.

It's still not worth it. iTunes is a horrible solution to piracy. My sister used my laptop in the past for all her iTune purchases, and when that laptop crashed she never saw those again. Every year a better one comes out, like Rhapsody, that offers a selection of millions for one monthly subscription fee, with the ability to upload to .mp3 players and other mobile devices as well as access your account from anywhere.

I need entertainment just as much as the next person, and will get it where ever I can. If I feel something really needs my support, then I will see what I can do.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Isn't file sharing illegal? I thought that's what most people who actually get caught are caught for. I'm not sure if there's a different between file sharing and downloading though.

7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I haven't purchased a CD for myself in about 6 years. Obviously I want to support the bands I love, but I'll do it for free while I'm at home listening to them. I don't really have a problem with piracy.

I think it's fucked up the way the government can get into your system and try and prosecute you (which is supposedly not allowed to be used in court anymore.)

8. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Don't artists make most of their money by holding concerts anyways? I'd be much more willing to pay for a concert ticket (though it may be more expensive) to an artist's show than buy a CD.

9. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Eh.. they can makes millions and millions in a year just for CDs.. but I agree 100% with the concert statement. I will pay $50+ to see me favorite bands.

10. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I have no problem with it but I also support buying songs online. I like the idea of paying .99 for a song but hate the idea of limited transfers and DRM.