PIRACY: your thoughts?

PIRACY: your thoughts?

• Total voters

agphoenix

Everything goes.
Yeah, I do it too; movies, music, books, etc.

But then I realized that I've composed 14 tracks over the past few years spending a lot of time, energy, money and emotions. My stuff is copy written.

Now...tell me about what your piracy habits and thoughts.

Would you still?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I used to do it alot.... but ceased the moment I found iTunes. I'd use Limewire for all sorts of things, mostly music and skin flicks, but obviously its all pirated.

Now I play it legit and pay for it all. I've never once downloaded a Full DVD so my hands are clean there. Just mp3's and small/medium video clips.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Nope, I do not pirate, and never will, I pay for everything, if i can't afford it then I don't get to have it.

agphoenix

Everything goes.
I used to do it alot.... but ceased the moment I found iTunes. I'd use Limewire for all sorts of things, mostly music and skin flicks, but obviously its all pirated.

Now I play it legit and pay for it all. I've never once downloaded a Full DVD so my hands are clean there. Just mp3's and small/medium video clips.
Nope, I do not pirate, and never will, I pay for everything, if i can't afford it then I don't get to have it.
Nice...both of you. The poll shows you'd PIRATE MY S#!T though! :D
Just kidding.

I just thought about the fact that viruses come into play when discussing this too huh?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I buy all my software, games, music and movies legally. I don't pirate at all. A lot of people cry about expensive software that can sometimes be thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. So? That stuff takes incredibly complex programming by highly skilled teams. If you don't think it's worth it then buy a cheap knock off.

To those who say "I wouldn't pay for it anyway though", well then you don't deserve to have it. If you wouldn't pay for a car does that make it ok to steal one?

Pirating is not only illegal but the fines are utterly unbearable to most people. Who here can afford to pay $100,000-$250,000 PER song they pirate? Not even getting into software, game and movie piracy fines which can be even worse...

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or pay the fine).

agphoenix

Everything goes.
...If you wouldn't pay for a car does that make it ok to steal one?...
well put...great example
------
You can choose more than one answer people. So far everyone would nick my stuff. :(

Last edited:
I used to pirate a lot. Mainly anime and manga. I've just about stopped now. I no longer pirate anime and manga, and I go out of my way to buy what I can for soundtracks, or mainly download legally free stuff |:

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I used to have pirated music and I downloaded a few anime episodes.

I deleted it all (and also bought a lot of the music. The anime isn't even in America.), except for one or two classical music recordings I just can't find another like (I own other recordings of them, they just don't sound as good. D:), and a few marching band shows I was in and two I loved.

Now I would totally buy a CD or something for those marching band performances, but such a thing does not exist, so I had to get them ripped. I own the DVD's... so... yeah.

troubl3dmind

Registered Member
Some smaller bands would argue that Limewire actually increases their rep and they are more known because of it. This is enough for me to give piracy two thumbs way up.

I also think that if you download a game and you like it that you should buy it just to support the company that made it. If a company came out with a great game that everyone loved but only pirated then they would go out of business. I think the same for music and movies!

I don't pirate that much, but I do do it on occasion. If I hear a song that I like, I'll download it. However, I will say that if I like it alot, I will probably then download a few more from the band. If those are really good as well, I then go out and buy the CD. This is how I found alot of my favorite bands.

One of my friends, on the other hand, may or may not have been one of the biggest of pirates in the world with well over 400,000 songs at one point if I remember correctly (we did the math that the RIAA uses to determine fines and it came out to around $20 billion). He now also downloads movies before they are even released.

Piracy in my mind isn't that big of a deal in lots of cases, such as how I do it. The way my friend does it is a big deal though.