Pierce Says To Trade The Pick

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Kidd, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Kidd

Kidd Guest

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44561/20070205/pierce_says_to_trade_the_pick/

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't agree. If you have the chance to get Kevin Durant or Greg Oden you take the chance. I know Paul Pierce might be getting pissed off with all this rebuilding, but if you get Oden or Durant I beleive you become instant winners, especially with all the young talent they have on that team.

3. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

Its not worth trading you have the possiblity to aquire Oden, Durant, Noah and many other great prospects. I doubt they'd get a player that could help their team right away anyways. I say keep the pick and continue scouting.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

it's a gamble but they have to try and get Durant or Oden.
    they don't have any talent that other teams drool over.
    Pierce is right, teams don't win alone with the draft, you need vets.
    Mabye after getting oden or durant, they can trade for a serviceable veteran for one of the young guys..

5. Babe_Ruth

I agree. If you can get one of those two then those young players become good trade bate. Like a Kendrick Perkins or a Sebastian Telfair for exaple. The only yound players i'd keep is Al Jefferson and Gerald Green. The others i wouldn't mind trading.

6. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

If the Celts take Oden, I'd trade Jefferson, but it'd have to be for a solid veteran.
    I've read the problem is the Celts are overvaluing their talent and other GM's are not meeting their asking price.
    Celts have lots of young talent but most of it is not developed, so they may or may not pan out. the majority of young talented players do not pan out, they end up on the end of the bench and eventually out of the league.
    Jefferson is coming along and will be considered a commodity. Perkins.. still waiting for him to step up. Green shows flashes but is not consistent enough. Tony Allen, has to stay healthy to play 70+ games. Gomes, should be a 7th or 8th man, that's it. Telfair, a flop who doesn't know how to run a team. Rondo, rookie wouldn't give him away yet until you can see what he's got. Looks good so far, but has to take the next step in his 2nd year.
    Donte West, should be a 3rd gaurd off the bench not a starter IMO.. at least at this stage of his career.

7. Babe_Ruth

You obviously know about more about the Celtics then I do. But I don't agree with you by trading Al Jefferson. He's really the only one that I'd keep in the Celtics organization. I'd even trade Paul Pierce over Al Jefferson. Even if you do get Greg Oden. Imagine the possibly's having those two big men in the pain next year. Especially with the evolution of Al Jefferson this season. It would be very hard to score in the paint that's for sure.

8. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

While Jefferson is a nice player and is showing lots of promise this year, lets compair him to 3 of PF's who were drafted the same year. Yes all were drafted ahead of him but my point is, he's not so great that he's untradeable. He COULD be as good as these guys.. but I doubt it. He'll be a good not great IMO.

FG 3-PT FT Rebounds
    Year Team G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
    Al Jefferson 2006-07 BOS 41 32:17 5.7 11.8 48.3 0 0 0 2.6 3.9 67.5 3.5 7.1 10.6 1 2 0.5 1.4 3.5 14
    Chris Bosh 2006-07 TOR 37 37:42 8.1 16.1 50.2 0.3 0.7 37 6.9 9.2 75.5 3 7.7 10.7 2.4 2.7 0.4 1.2 2.1 23.3
    Dwight Howard 2006-07 ORL 50 35:36 6.1 10.5 58.3 0 0 100 4.9 7.9 61.9 3.3 8.6 11.9 1.7 3.6 0.7 1.8 3.1 17.2
    Amare Stoudemire 2006-07 PHO 49 31:36 7 11.6 60.6 0 0 0 5.5 7.1 77.9 2.7 6.6 9.3 0.6 2.5 0.7 1.4 3.6 19.6

hmm this is an interesting study between the big 3 and Jefferson. I bolded the important big man stats
    other than scoring and FG %, he stacks up quite well.
    the next 2 years could be very interesting...
    still if they get Oden, Jefferson will have trade value. and as great as having a good PF and a very good Centre sounds, it doesn't always work very well. Both demand the ball, both want to be down low..
    out of the 4, I'd take Bosh in a heartbeat... but that's another discussion :)

f**k how come every time I try and edit the stats to look good, they bunch up?!?!?

9. Babe_Ruth

You can't really compare Al Jefferson to those players because there all All Star players and had more playing time. Plus Al Jefferson had really tough injuries during is first few years in the league, but he's becoming the player people thought he'd be. He still needs to improve is offensive game, but I beleive is defence is up there for sure. I can't really comment on Al Jefferson wanting the bal so much because I haven't seen him play that much, but the time i saw him he wasn't a selfish player. The same as to go with Greg Oden. So I beleive it could work.

10. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

the only good/great big man tandum to work in recent years was Duncan and Robinson and that worked because Robinson doesn't have a selfish ego and could supliment his game to Duncan's
    I can't think of any other big man duo that's worked besides that unless you go to the 80's with Hakeem and Ralph Sampson, Bird and McHale.