Picturing God

wooly

I am the woolrus
How do you picture god? Do you tend to think of god ('god, the father' to be specific) as a physical being of some sort? Do you picture god as a human figure? (if we are supposedly created in his image) And when talking about sinning/blaspheming, how do you think that such actions actually 'affect your relationship' with god?

How do you picture god? Do you tend to think of god ('god, the father' to be specific) as a physical being of some sort? Do you picture god as a human figure? (if we are supposedly created in his image) And when talking about sinning/blaspheming, how do you think that such actions actually 'affect your relationship' with god?
Definately not a physical being, I think of 'God' as being more of an... energy? I don't picture him in human-like form because I believe we came to look like this through evol... wait.. this thread clashes with just about everything I believe :lol: well not quite but yeah..

Oh and your other question..

Sinning etc doesn't effect my relationship with God. If there is one then I think he either loves everyone despite their sins, or hates everyone fullstop :laugh: I just live my life not worrying about what other 'beings' such as a God might think, and at the end of it all if I'm judged on my actions then so be it. I personally believe I'm an overall good person, so typical day-to-day sins do not make me stop and think "oh shit there might be a God frowning upon me right now"

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
As somewhat of a positivist I dont see God as being an almighty diety of any sort. My interpretation of him is solely as a philosophy. The notion of God only exists by our inclination to what we want to percieve him as; be that a good deed, a beautiful sunset or life itself. I treat God as a concept rather than anything metaphysical.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How do you picture god? Do you tend to think of god ('god, the father' to be specific) as a physical being of some sort? Do you picture god as a human figure? (if we are supposedly created in his image)
I used to picture God as looking like Jesus, but with a big voice. However I have also thought about another angle, that we see God in an image we can relate. Call me dorky but I think if the animals talked to each other and had a concept of god, the elephants probably imagined an elephant-looking god, the cats would imagine a cat-looking god, etc. That's why we humans imagine a human-looking god. I think Alanis Morissette made a cool version of God. :lol:

Then I moved to picturing God as light or energy, or maybe not really something we can see but feel. I think we are made up of the same thing too, just in less impressive dose.

And when talking about sinning/blaspheming, how do you think that such actions actually 'affect your relationship' with god?
I used to be so guilty about a lot of things but now I don't think they really matter to God as much as it matters to the people around me.

manuel

Registered Member

This is almost an impossible task, I believe that all such questions are answered by the Bible, God’s inspired word, and what the Bible says is that God is a spirit, meaning that is incorporeal, the biggest problem is that this spirit is infinite and we are finite, all of our attributes have limits, the Bible tell us that God has no boundaries, He created the vast universe, that is so big that man cannot count the millions of galaxies that were create. How big is He?
Job 11:7 Can you by searching find out God? Can you perfectly find out the Almighty?
Job 11:8 Heights of the heavens! What can you do? It is deeper than hell, what can you know?
Job 11:9 The measure of it is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
All we can do is to follow what Jesus taught Joh 14:8 Philip said to Him, Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.
Joh 14:9 Jesus said to him, Have I been with you such a long time and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father. And how do you say, Show us the Father?
Joh 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in Me? The Words that I speak to you I do not speak of Myself, but the Father who dwells in Me, He does the works.

In the physical sense, I have preconceived, stereotypical ideas like we all do. He'd be over six feet tall, with enough inches over myself so that when we out and it rained, he could put his arm across my shoulder and keep me warm but not so many that I'm unintentionally conversing with his crotch. His pecks would resemble the tips of Aztecan spears and his pecker the shafts. He would have the figure of a Centaur but not be too prideful to let me put my Tesco shopping on his back. I think to mess with peoples minds he would have size 30 feet but hands so small he can barely grip a single Sugarpuff. His face would tell the tales of an eternity and yet retain a youthful vigour about it. I think he'd have his lip pierced too. I'm not sure why though.

Outside the material level, I'm afraid the limitations of my feeble human mind begin to show. I can't even begin to fathom what natural form or state God would come in as I have nothing but human imagery and logic to work with. For me, it's like trying to imagine a million brand new colours. It makes my brain upset. The only attribute I have given 'God' is that one might exist. Beyond that is a big question mark.