Picture Threads

Do you think that the idea listed should be used here?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Steerpike

Registered Member
I was just looking at the picture thread of forum members and would suggest changing the way this is done.

There should be two threads for this process.

One thread for people to post links to photos of themselves. Someone either as part of the moderating team or working with the moderating team would post the links by forum id in alphabetical order in a second thread which would be the "permanent thread."

The thread for members to post their linked photos would be kept open only for a specific post count so whoever takes care of the duties of posting the links in the "permanent thread" doesn't have an unseemly number of posts to go through to make the updates. Each member when posting could request one photo for their member photo. They could post others for people to look at but only one would go in the "permanent member photos" thread. Anyone wishing to update their member photo would simply post the new link with a request that it be made their new member photo.

The "permanent thread" would be a pinned thread and only authorized individuals would be able to post. (Whoever makes the updates.)

Another forum I know of uses a system like this and it works.

What does anyone think of this idea?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's not a bad idea. But couldn't people just add a picture to their profile if they want as well?

Steerpike

Registered Member
It's not a bad idea. But couldn't people just add a picture to their profile if they want as well?
This allows a one stop place for someone to look at member photos. The "Permanent Thread" would only be a couple of posts at most. One with the links arranged alphabetically and maybe one with instructions from a moderator that the thread is not to be posted in.

Whoever updates it would edit the one post and put in or remove any linked photos that would need to be updated.

Another point about this is that since links are posted instead of pictures themselves, size is less of an issue.

This is used on another forum quite successfully.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
How about we add a section to Introductions for member pictures, and allow people to post as many pics of themselves as they'd like. Then if they want to create their own thread to post pics of themselves in, they can do it.

How about we add a section to Introductions for member pictures, and allow people to post as many pics of themselves as they'd like. Then if they want to create their own thread to post pics of themselves in, they can do it.
We have that in subtalk.

The proposed thread seems to be to have a mod keep an updated list of member's latest pictures. Like just one per member

Doc

V.I.P.
We don't really need an updated thread for pics, though.

I'd rather have the members take care of this themselves, and a new section under Introductions would help that. The Link Dump in subtalk isn't specific enough to cover that.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I actually like this idea. The picture thread is so big and unorganized it's impossible to find what you're looking for. If I understand correctly, this would be like an index where you can look up members and have easy access to their pictures.

I like this too. i mean I under stand hybrix's "You can put one in your profile" and the whole "we have one in subtalk" but the idea of an alphabetical index makes it way easier and convenient. im sure steerpike wouldnt mind getting it going either, if it gets hybrix's blessing, of course.

Doc

V.I.P.
So no one likes the idea of a forum where you can make your own topic to post your pics in? That way you can edit, organize, delete, move, and have replies to your pics?