Picking up Habits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Impact, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you pick up habits or sayings from people around you?

I always find myself copying certain phrases that the people around me say. An especially annoying one that I picked up from my sister is 'a wee second'. She always says it, so now I find myself saying it to people if I need them to hang on for a moment.
    I'm pretty sure there is a whole bunch of things I copy off people I spend a lot of time with, but I can't think of any more right now.

2. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

I picked up the word "dude" from a friend over ten years ago, and I'm STILL using it! I also cuss a lot cause I just grew up around it. And I've noticed that I cough like my mom (same rhythm). Haha! And there are a few saying I use because I grew up hearing my nan say them.

3. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Dude! I use dude waaay too much. I think I picked it up off a television show. I use it to address people, as an exclamation and to swear, and quite often in the place of 'eh'

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My grandma and dad use the same phrases as eachother, and I found myself using one recently "it's a grand life if you don't weaken" when I had a sore neck/back, it was weird :lol: I think she's slightly more justified to say that then me haha.

I also started sneezing like my mother and that HAS to stop!

I pick up accents easily too, not sure if you'd class that as a habit, but I'll speak someone else's accent in my mind if it's different to mine and I just met them.

People's typing styles, as well. I keep writing random 'lol's everywhere and I'm convinced it's because of either Danny or Kay. And then there's abbreviating words like ysabel does (e.g 'fb acct'), I always do that after I've been talking to her on ym.

5. Puck

Puck Registered Member

I'm so bad with picking up habits.
    I do it without realizing it until someone points it out like a week later...
    Certain phrases, certain mannerisms and stuff like that.
    I'll also notice people pick up things from me. Like saying "oi" every 4 words or something stupid like I do. That one makes me giggle because they sound just as stupid as I do now!

6. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

i am easy addictive i can see and do quickly !

7. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I pick up the weirdest habits, I went from a phase where I would say "Naww, diddums" to anyone who complained and now I say "Suck it up princess"

8. Quebedeau

Quebedeau Registered Member

One that makes me mad is when people do thing that make people irritated and the other person goes "eww" or ever when someone says some stupid

people say "eww" to people to put them down in a way here..lol

9. Squeakers

Squeakers Registered Member

My boss always says "Jeepers" and so now I say it all the time. It's quite the annoying word though.

10. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I heard somewhere you're the five people you spend the most time with. Probably not quite, but there's some truth there. I collect little phrases and mannerisms to sprinkle in where I want.