Picking and Choosing Insults, Among Other Things

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Drawing attention to yourself by picking out an innocuously used word is uncool.

A person usually says "that's gay" to point out something that's being happy or frolicsome or "anything" in the wrong setting or flow. Adopting a word to describe your sexual "gender" that means happy or frolicsome is/was asking for ridicule.

Telling your teenage son to wear something to school that was "uncool" would elicit a "that's gay" or Mom "you're gay" response.

I can assure you that people who hate and insult gays don't do so by saying "that's gay."

When I was in grade school the word "gay" brought about a negative vibe and was rarely used. This was before most people knew what homosexual or lesbian meant and there was no "official" connection to the word gay.

In fact I had to recite El Dorado in HS and never connected any "gay" dots.

REELY’S POETRY BLOG » Blog Archive » Gaily bedight

When I think of the poem El Dorado, I always get a mental picture of Edgar Allan Poe saying “what rhymes with knight?” and then he finds the word “bedight” and hollers “Eureka.” Then he says, hey, that’s a good title and saves up “Eureka” for later use.
Maybe he thought it was weird that the Spanish explorers were always “dressed to the nines” while conducting their explorations. Don’t think he didn’t know that expression since it appears in one of Robert Burns’ works - The Poem on Pastoral Poetry:
“Thou paints auld Nature to the nines,
In thy sweet Caledonian lines; …”
Our gallant knight isn’t just “gaily bedight” when he sets out. He is gaily bedight “in sunshine and in shadow.” I have always pictured him alone, though most of the searches for the fabled South American City of Gold were actually expeditions.
The legend of El Dorado actually grew from several stories. One involves “el indio dorado,” (the Golden Indian). This is a tale about Diego de Ordaz’s lieutenant Martinez, who was rescued from a shipwreck, and taken from town to town. Supposedly, he was entertained by a Golden Indian. However, Prussian naturalist and explorer, Alexander von Humboldt notes in his book, Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America, that he believes this fable was based loosely upon the adventures of Juan Martin de Albujar, who “fell into the hands of the Caribs of the Lower Orinoco. This Albujar married an Indian woman and became a savage himself.”
Conquistador Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada (it is believed that Miguel de Cervantes modeled Don Quixotes after him) searched for El Dorado, but instead found the Muisca, one of the most advanced pre-Colombian civilizations. The invading Spaniards took gold and emeralds galore and stole the golden ornaments from the temple at Sogamoso. Then they burned down the temple. On August 6, 1538, the Muisca village of Bacatá was renamed Santa Fé de Bogotá.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Wait . . I'm lost.

What are we talking about here? It's like I was just stretched in six directions (God I feel like Jeanie's top during a late night chat).

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Wait . . I'm lost.

What are we talking about here? It's like I was just stretched in six directions (God I feel like Jeanie's top during a late night chat).
All though I've never met or seen Jeanie I sure I've felt Jeanie's top, a nice scotch, and settling in for a quiet evening would not be "stretching it" at all.

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
yeah rapier, im not sure where this discussion is headed either. care to elaborate on the question?

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
What is the question? What are we supposed to be discussing?
Picking and choosing insults.

People can be real hypocrites. If coworker ugly Bill kinda stared or asked beautiful Betty for date she might vocalize her displeasure or even file a sexual harassment suit. If handsome/studly/rich coworker Burt spoke to beautiful Betty lasciviously or grabbed/slapped her @ss, no sweat.

I really tire of individuals and groups snapping/conjuring up "insults" whenever it suits them.

CBNJ

Registered Member
Because people suck. If everyone was nice, we wouldn't have any problems in the world, but obviously that will never happen. You'll always have the people that will freak out over one thing, but if it happens again or in another context they will be fine with it. Especially in High School. :p

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, that's a case of status elevation, not choice of insult. Of course there's a better chance Betty will allow the rich guy to woo her (no matter how bluntly or disgustingly) because he represents a chance for her to climb the socioeconomic ladder.