Picking and Choosing Insults, Among Other Things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapier, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Drawing attention to yourself by picking out an innocuously used word is uncool.

A person usually says "that's gay" to point out something that's being happy or frolicsome or "anything" in the wrong setting or flow. Adopting a word to describe your sexual "gender" that means happy or frolicsome is/was asking for ridicule.

Telling your teenage son to wear something to school that was "uncool" would elicit a "that's gay" or Mom "you're gay" response.

I can assure you that people who hate and insult gays don't do so by saying "that's gay."

When I was in grade school the word "gay" brought about a negative vibe and was rarely used. This was before most people knew what homosexual or lesbian meant and there was no "official" connection to the word gay.

In fact I had to recite El Dorado in HS and never connected any "gay" dots.

REELY’S POETRY BLOG » Blog Archive » Gaily bedight

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Wait . . I'm lost.

What are we talking about here? It's like I was just stretched in six directions (God I feel like Jeanie's top during a late night chat).

3. Rapier

All though I've never met or seen Jeanie I sure I've felt Jeanie's top, a nice scotch, and settling in for a quiet evening would not be "stretching it" at all.

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

What is the question? What are we supposed to be discussing?

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Do you have a cousin named Westy?

6. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

yeah rapier, im not sure where this discussion is headed either. care to elaborate on the question?

7. Rapier

Picking and choosing insults.

People can be real hypocrites. If coworker ugly Bill kinda stared or asked beautiful Betty for date she might vocalize her displeasure or even file a sexual harassment suit. If handsome/studly/rich coworker Burt spoke to beautiful Betty lasciviously or grabbed/slapped her @ss, no sweat.

I really tire of individuals and groups snapping/conjuring up "insults" whenever it suits them.

8. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

Because people suck. If everyone was nice, we wouldn't have any problems in the world, but obviously that will never happen. You'll always have the people that will freak out over one thing, but if it happens again or in another context they will be fine with it. Especially in High School. :p

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, that's a case of status elevation, not choice of insult. Of course there's a better chance Betty will allow the rich guy to woo her (no matter how bluntly or disgustingly) because he represents a chance for her to climb the socioeconomic ladder.