• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

picking a college major (SE vs CS)

KnockAr0und

Hey guys - I need your help !

I'm currently a high school junior, and I want to be a software engineer, but I don't know exactly what to choose.
◘ What is the difference between computer science and software engineering?
◘ can somebody with a CS degree be called a software engineer?
◘ who are employers looking for now, or should I say Who are more successful? people with a CS degree or SE? How do you think it will change in the next 5 years?

I'm really nervous about this and I hope you guys can clear out the mist that surrounds me with anything concerning software engineering.:sick:

Jeveryday

Hey guys - I need your help !

I'm currently a high school junior, and I want to be a software engineer, but I don't know exactly what to choose.
◘ What is the difference between computer science and software engineering?
◘ can somebody with a CS degree be called a software engineer?
◘ who are employers looking for now, or should I say Who are more successful? people with a CS degree or SE? How do you think it will change in the next 5 years?

I'm really nervous about this and I hope you guys can clear out the mist that surrounds me with anything concerning software engineering.:sick:
If you wana be a software engineer then major in software engineering. Its kinda hard to compare the two being that CS has a bit of SE in it.

• IMO, the major diff. between the two is the amount of programming eacj entails. Software Engineering is almost all programming. CS would atleast give you a chance to branch out into hardware if you wanted to.
  • Yes someone with a CS degree can be a software engineer. You will def. be exposed to programming majoring in CS, just not as much.
  • I think it is moe beneficial to have a CS degree. It is more broad and will give you a touch of everything. Software Engineering wil tie you down to programming. If you love programming then SE is the way to go.
Just my opinions... :)