• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PHP? The Best?

JohnR

Registered Member
Php, is by far, expanding server side programming. It's giving us programmers a huge advantage on other languages. It has so many features and it keeps it so simple that you really cant go wrong using it. Basically, what I am asking is do you think PHP is the best scripting language?

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I don't know if I would really call it the best scripting language. I have JSP it was fairly simple. Actually just like using Java except that it was scripting. So I think it has everything to do with preference. I don't really have a preference yet as to what scripting language is the best.

JohnR

Registered Member
Yeah, I guess it does count on ones preference. I personally never tried Java or any side product of Java. I alway heard it was extremely hard anyway.

Penguin

Registered Member
I prefer PHP to javascript. It seems to me to be more "logical" (as in, how things are named and referred to) than what javascript I've seen.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Javascript has always been confusing to me. I REALLY like PHP, and as far as I'm concerned it's my favorite to use.

I haven't used ASP though. I do think that for almost any website need, the combination of PHP and MySQL is all you need.

JohnR

Registered Member
It is more than what you need. But there is one thing I have always wondered, is there a possible way to code PHP in a GUI software?

Penguin

Registered Member
I don't see why you would want a GUI for PHP. PHP doesn't, in my opinion, lend itself to GUI usage. There's too much *to* it, IMO, to translate well to a "WYSIWYG" type interface.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I don't see why you would want a GUI for PHP. PHP doesn't, in my opinion, lend itself to GUI usage. There's too much *to* it, IMO, to translate well to a "WYSIWYG" type interface.
I would have to agree. I think PHP was specifically designed to be used on the web as a language that enables the use of databases with websites. If you are using a web browser as your GUI with HTML to display, then PHP works fine just like this site. But if you are talking about a GUI that is written in PHP, then I don't that works. I don't think PHP is even designed to be able to do something like that.

Last edited:

JohnR

Registered Member
I would have to agree. I think PHP was specifically designed to be used on the web as a language that enables the use of databases with websites. If you are using a web browser as your GUI with HTML to display, then PHP works fine just like this site. But if you are talking about a GUI that is written in PHP, then I don't that works. I don't think PHP is even designed to be able to do something like that.
I guess you two are correct. It would be a bit difficult to do something like this anyway.

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
It is actually possible to create GUI based programs in PHP. However, you need special packages to be able to do it. One is called PHP-GTK, I believe. I looked into this sort of thing a couple of years ago, but the technology wasn't really at a usable state then.