Photography Contest Discussion Thread

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
And portraits, but I think good portraits are hard to take without the right equipment.
The biggest problem I am still having with taking photos of people is asking them and convincing them I am not going to do something dodgy with them. I take pictures of random people on the street and without wanting to sound like some random stalker person I do think they come out well because people cannot lie about their emotions at that moment.

danwiz

Registered Member
In the contest voting thread somebody complained about all of the photos being of snow - that means we can have more "Landscape" themes with Spring Landscapes, Summer Landscapes and Autumn Landscapes.

As to a wildlife contest, I think it would have to allow photos taken outside of the contest time as one just does not happen on wildlife "on demand". One can't just say "I need to go take a deer (or bear or whatever) shot for this month's GF Photo contest".

But, as you know, I am at least somewhat against the time frame anyway.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe there's not always a bear or deer around when you want it but there are birds, spiders, squirrels around everywhere.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
We could also do a still life category one month.

Dan, I understand and respect your opinion on not being able to submit pics outside of the window and I think we should work on a compromise. How about a longer contest time to give better opportunities for shots? I know finding a good wildlife shot could take months. The issue here is that I won't make any rules changes without a majority rule on the issue in an effort to be fair to the larger group.

My suggestion: we decide on a contest length when we pick a category that is fair for the difficulty of the image.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Personally, I would prefer to keep the contests at one month so that we can do more of them. It's not that hard to find wildlife unless you're looking for a perfect shot of a bear or wolf or something. Squirrels and rabbits are all over the place.

One option though is to have the wildlife contest run concurrently with other ones. So we could start the wildlife one right after the current one and have it run for 3-4 months or whatever, and then we'd still run other contests in the meantime.

danwiz

Registered Member
I like Major's idea of running the wildlife contest concurrently with others, but keep it open for 3 or 4 months.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's my fault that we haven't started yet. I just need an official vote on the next theme. From what I understand we want wildlife, but no domestic animals or humans included?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, the wildlife contest should be started soon and should run for a few months. And we can also start another contest as well and run it for one month or so. I say just pick one of the themes that has been mentioned. I'm cool with anything.