• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Phone Boxes/Booths/Telephone Kiosks

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am currently watching a film called "The Conversation", I may review it on the Movies section later. In the film it stars a very paranoid spy, he has 4 locks on his door, refuses to speak about things and uses telephone booths to conduct his business. I don't know about the rest of the world but I have noticed a steady decline in them and given how many people now use mobile phones this does not surprise me.

Can you remember the last time you used one? For our younger members have you ever even used one? There used to be one at the end of my road and there three near where I work. I know I used to use them before I really used mobile phones but it just seems odd to even think of using one these days!

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
The last time I used a payphone was as a scampy little kid, in which we pranked called folk.
Other than that I have never used one properly.

Although, a British 'icon' is our old Red Telephone Boxes. There's one at the end of the 'reservoir' where I live - although that means nothing to anyone - It's pretty useless, yet the symbol of that red booth is pretty cool. I like it. So even if they rip the phone out of them, I'd like to think that those red structure remain.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I used a payphone a few months ago. I think it's actually one of the first times I've used one, or at least, that I can remember.

I needed to call my dad whilst I was out and I didn't have a mobile phone at the time because it was being repaired after I threw up on it.

you're welcome. :D

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
The last time I used one was last august. My phone got cut for a week, because of payment issues. So I used the payphone to call my mom to borrow some money till payday to get it back haha. Before I had a cellphone, I used them all the time, because I rarely kept my land line working. I would only use it during the summer. Don't ask why haha, i'm wierd.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think I've used one since I was in high school. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 17 years old so there were a couple times in high school when I needed to call home and tell my mom I was staying late.

So hell, I guess it's been 10 years since I used one.

SammyMay

Registered Member
I used one around....two months ago? I live in what USED to be a small town. And I was grocery shopping in the ''old sobeys'' we have a few better grocery stores now but this one is closest to my home. anyways, while shopping my iphone died, it had been a very long day of texting for me, haha, my boyfriend was supposed to meet me at the grocery store but i had not yet disclosed which store.. as i felt stranded and didnt know what to do, like i said, old store..not alot of people around. and then when paying for my items i realized, wow!! payphone!! i forgot those even existed..

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Can you remember the last time you used one? For our younger members have you ever even used one? There used to be one at the end of my road and there three near where I work. I know I used to use them before I really used mobile phones but it just seems odd to even think of using one these days!
I used one in 2004 in high school. No one was really carrying cell phones around school then and I didn't have a need for one so I would use the pay phone to call for a ride or something like that. I haven't seen one in ages.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I use them rarely, the last time was about six months ago when I was between mobiles.
I don't like using them though, a lot of the time they have a rather unsavoury smell, that is if they have been completely destroyed by some idiot.

There is one outside the local shops where my parents live, and it has been smashed up more times than I can remember.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I haven't used one since 2005, I think that was when I was in Grade 11. I got my own cellphone in 2006, so nope I've never used one since.

The last time I actually even paid attention a pay phone was when I saw a homeless man trying to break into one using a butterknife. Good times.