• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Phone anxiety

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I has it (have we done this thread before?)

I do not like to talk on the phone at all and I avoid it if I possibly can.

My eye glasses place has online appointment scheduling, and that's the only reason I finally got new glasses.

I finally gathered up the nerve to call and make an appointment for a hair cut with a stylist recommended by a friend, but they didn't answer so I'll just go to a walk-in place.

I'm comfortable calling my mom and my sister, and that's pretty much it. I get all nerved up when I have to call my daughter's school to let them know if she's staying home sick, even if I know I'll get the voice mail.

Sonnilion wanted to drunk dial me last night and I said no freaking way, I'm terrified of the phone. Just ask Pam and Kay, they'll tell you. Pam still asks if it's ok to call me when she wants to talk.

Is anyone else a freak about the phone like I am?

Puck

Registered Member
I hate having to call for appointments and stuff, but talking to friends or people I know isn't a big deal...anymore. I used to hate it because I really don't like my voice. So, that freaks me out a little, especially if the person on the other end doesn't already know what I look like, I'm always worried they're going to think I'm ugly or something by the sound of my voice. Yes, it's a vanity thing, sometimes.

But it doesn't bother me much anymore, I had to get over it for my job.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nope, I'm not afraid of talking on the phone whatsoever, but that said I don't like talking on the phone. I much rather send a text message or an email if it's possible.

If I talk on the phone it's usually a short lived conversation, unless it's really important, or if I'm talking to a girl. One thing I do tend to do on the phone is talk to fast, well I talk pretty fast in general, but sometimes I have to repeat myself because they couldn't understand me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't like to talk on the phone because I don't have a whole lot to say and it can be awkward. When I talk to my friends it's usually pretty brief, just arranging to meet up or something.

Dabs

Registered Member
No I don't have a problem talking on the phone.
I do however have issues when I'm trying to reach a certain company and instead of a live person I get a computer who keeps giving me orders to push this number for that, and that number for this.
That irritates the piss outta me.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No I don't have a problem talking on the phone.
I do however have issues when I'm trying to reach a certain company and instead of a live person I get a computer who keeps giving me orders to push this number for that, and that number for this.
That irritates the piss outta me.
Yeah that's annoying, but I'll take that over the computerized call center that wants you to say why you're calling instead of pushing buttons. I always feel like an ass talking out loud to a computer. Then if there's any background noise, it'll say "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that"

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm not afraid of it, but boy do I hate it. Especially if the same person keeps calling me, I get annoyed very easily about it. I dislike talking on the phone in most situations.

What bothers me the most is when I'm talking to a friend arranging a get together/catch up with each other dinner, and she starts jabber jawing over the phone instead of saving it for our dinner. WTF are we going to talk about when we meet up? sheesh

I much prefer texting or IM'ing these days. It's easier to respond at my leisure instead of interrupting whatever I'm doing and having to stop and chat for god knows how long.

My dad actually recently started texting me because he noticed that I answered much faster than returning a phone call.

redroses

Registered Member
yes i hate talking on the phone...unless im drunk then you cant get me off the bloody thing!
i dont mind speaking to my mum or dad over the phone, but when my friends call i get this horrible flippy feeling in my stomache, i normally ignore it then text back to see what they wanted to try and avoid the call.
calling up for jobs and things is a nightmare but i just force myself to do it, its never as bad as it seems i think the reason i hate it is i never know how to end a phone conversation, or what to say really, dont know why, but i think phone anxiety is fairly common i know a few people who hate telephone calls, all im going to say is thank god for texting :)

Daemonic

Registered Member
I has it (have we done this thread before?)

I do not like to talk on the phone at all and I avoid it if I possibly can.

My eye glasses place has online appointment scheduling, and that's the only reason I finally got new glasses.

I finally gathered up the nerve to call and make an appointment for a hair cut with a stylist recommended by a friend, but they didn't answer so I'll just go to a walk-in place.

I'm comfortable calling my mom and my sister, and that's pretty much it. I get all nerved up when I have to call my daughter's school to let them know if she's staying home sick, even if I know I'll get the voice mail.

Sonnilion wanted to drunk dial me last night and I said no freaking way, I'm terrified of the phone. Just ask Pam and Kay, they'll tell you. Pam still asks if it's ok to call me when she wants to talk.

Is anyone else a freak about the phone like I am?
I would have never even ask if I wasn't drunk. I can call anyone when I'm like that just fine. Normally, I hate using the phone for anything. I even order carryout or delivery food online if it's possible. I have a few select people I enjoy talking with on the phone and can hold long conversations with but for the most part I hate telephones unless it's talking to a small select group of friends. As for appointment's, I always try to make them in advance even if it is a long way in the future while I'm at the doctor or hair stylist. I wont even call the office if I have a problem in my apartment. I have to walk to the office or leave a note in the drop box.

I also hate voicemail, if I do call I sometimes need to call a few times through the day before I finally can leave one.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
I only get anxious about phone calls if they're regarding a job interview where I have to make a good impression, or doctor offices. I used to be scared to answer the phone or call people, but then I got a job that required me to talk on the phone most of the day. I still don't like chatting on the phone. My phone calls are generally pretty short. The only exception being when I call back home, and even then everyone else does the majority of the talking.