Phoenix Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313214

They are going to lose close to 20 million bucks this year...even despite being in the playoff race.

Just move them!

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If they can't get attendance when your losing or having a good year it means that people don't care about the team.

The smartest thing would be to move them to Winnipeg/Quebec or Hamilton, but Bettman is just so stupid and doesn't do it for some reason.

3. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I've liked the team for several years (might just be a stupid "I like the name, uniform, and they're pretty good!" sort of thing lol)...I just hope they find a good city wherever it is...IF they move.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Hamilton would be the best bet. Winnipeg needs the team. I want them in Winnipeg... but from what I gather the financial support is simply nonexistent there and thats the reason the Jets had to go regardless of their ability to fill a barn.

Hamilton has Balsillie who's just frothing at the mouth to have his own NHL club... why Bettman doesnt do it, I'm not quite sure. I think its cause it falls into that "to close" zone for the Leafs. But still.... Figure something out because when Teams like the Coyotes are losing 20 million a year... that becomes a drag on the real clubs that are truly making money. Doesnt the NHL run on that Profit Sharing system?

5. Babe_Ruth

That is definitely the biggest issue with moving a team to Hamilton Goat, but I still believe it would be a good idea. The Leafs have enough fans that they won't lose any butts in their arena if a team did end up going to Hamilton.

Quebec are building a new arena soon, which is the only thing keeping them from having an NHL team, but I don't a team would move there, they'll probably just have an expansion.

6. icegoat63

Bring Back the Citadelles!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Do you think Quebec will shoot for an NHL team though? Or will they just try to keep another AHL one going?

7. Babe_Ruth

Well there's been talks with Bettman and the Mayor of Quebec back in October and it seems like Bettman liked what the Mayor proposed. Personally I think it would be a good idea and awesome if we had the Nordiques back in the NHL. It would also bring back one of the biggest rivalries in the history of the NHL and that's Montreal vs Quebec.

8. icegoat63

yeah that'd be cool.

The only downside I see to that is you just cant expand one club... you have to do at least 2. And moving Phoenix wouldnt necessarily solve that puzzle. So with an Addition in Quebec... Where does the next club go? Assuming the Coyotes make it to either Winnipeg or Hamilton?

Las Vegas? Seattle?

Oh and When the Coyotes move... that'll mean a currently Eastern club is gonna have to jump Division lines and come on over to the West.

Think whoever they move will be able to hack it? Its a different animal here in the West than what is competitive on the Eastern Conference.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  9. Babe_Ruth

Seattle is an interesting proposition, I never heard of that one before. They seem to have a good sport fan base in Seattle, but don't know if they would like to have a Hockey Team in Seattle.

Las Vegas is another possibility, they don't have a sport franchise there and I think the NHL want to expand to Vegas, they even put the NHL awards in Las Vegas this season. But it's a big risk because of all the gambling and such, but I wouldn't mind if the NHL decided to put a franchise there.

Interesting point about a Eastern Conference team would have to move, I think only a few teams could play in the Western Conference. It's a different style like you mentioned and it would be a huge adjustment.

One of the biggest changes would be the time change for the Eastern Teams if they move to Las Vegas

10. icegoat63

Yeah Seattle is one of those Well Kept Secrets. You dont hear much Hockey News out of them because they are neither Struggling or Thriving... they're just doing good.

seattlethunderbirds.com: Time Capsule

Hockey has survived in Seattle since 1915 (Metropolitans) of course its changed names and arenas quite a few times to the Thunderbirds of today... but still, there arent that many American Cities that can proudly say "we've had professional hockey in our town for 90 years.

Heres another cool article about Seattle and the NHL

Seattle and the NHL?

Honestly... I have no doubt in my mind that Seattle could hold an NHL club. I think it'd be an AWESOME place to bring the Whalers back to be honest. I mean hell they've already got the Teal and Silver colors rocking hard on the Seahawks and Thunderbirds. The Supersonics are what? Green/Yellow... hahahaha

I'm sure they could handle the Time Change. Western Teams anyway spend a lot of time on the East coast simply because of the sheer bulk of them over there in comparison to how spread out we are in the Western Conference. But yeah, the style of play though... that'd be an interesting change. The West is known for being extremely aggressive in your face while the East is great for the Speed and Stick Handling. It'd be really interesting experiment to see how a good eastern club could maintain itself in the West.

My guess is that it'll end up being a Club from the Central Division that gets pulled to the West. Either the Wings or the Jackets... I think they are the two closest to the Border.
    ------
    And Seattle isnt the only Pacific Northwest (Washington) town to support Pro-Hockey. The Tacoma Sabercats had a pretty good run in the 90's. They only really collapsed because the WCHL went under.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010