Phillipine "Long Lizard" is a new Species

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I always love stories like this. Gives a slight grasp on the fact that even though we know alot... we still dont know it all. Finding new species is an awesome sign of that. Especially when its a 6 foot long Land Lizard :hah:

MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- Researchers have concluded that a giant, golden-spotted monitor lizard discovered in the forested mountains of the Philippines six years ago is a new species, according to a study released Wednesday.

The 6.5-foot (2-meter) -long lizard was first spotted in 2004 in the Sierra Madre mountains on the main island of Luzon when local researchers saw local Agta tribesmen carrying one of the dead reptiles.

But it took until last year to determine it was a new species. After capturing an adult, researchers from the University of Kansas and the National Museum of the Philippines obtained DNA samples that helped confirm the lizard was new to science.

The Northern Sierra Madre Forest Monitor Lizard or Varanus bitatawa feasts on fruits and snails rather than carcasses, unlike many monitors, including its larger relative, the Komodo dragon, according to American and Filipino researchers who wrote about the discovery in Wednesday's peer-reviewed Royal Society journal Biology Letters. It spends much of its time in the treetops and has unique claws that allow it to reach its favorite fruits.

News From The Associated Press

So another species of monitor lizard roams this Earth, only this one isn't hungry for flesh. Funny, I first scrolled to the picture and thought it was a velociraptor from the Jurassic Park movies.

Huh, you learn something new every day.

Iris

rainbow 11!
That is really cool, when I saw it I thought it was velociraptor from Jurrasic Park too, Mic.

Wicked claws on that thing.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
God, I'd love to know how many uncategorized species of creatures live in the sea. Now that would be something to behold...

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I'm telling my dad about this one right now, and hes telling me a true story. Now, while my dad lived in aristocratic Manilla, his grandfather lived in a hut outside a village (its where Apocalypse Now was filmed). And, he would ocassionally go and see him their. Well, he had a giant preserved lizard that he said he shot while hunting. It was looted when he died, unfortunately.