Petrino Bolts Falcons for Arkansas

Vegito728

Registered Member
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (Dec. 11) - Bobby Petrino was hired Tuesday as the football coach at Arkansas, capping a whirlwind day in which he stunningly resigned from the Atlanta Falcons after just 13 games.

Petrino succeeds Houston Nutt, who stepped down at Arkansas two weeks ago and became the head coach at Mississippi. Petrino was introduced as the Razorbacks coach by incoming athletic director Jeff Long at a late-night news conference.

In January, Petrino left as head coach at Louisville to take over in Atlanta, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract handed out by a team that felt he could help Michael Vick reach his full potential.

However, the star quarterback came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that led him to plead guilty to federal charges. On Monday Vick was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino.

On Monday night, the Falcons lost to New Orleans 34-14, and hours later Petrino left the team with a 3-10 record to return to the college ranks.
Rest of the story: Petrino Bolts Falcons for Arkansas - AOL Sports

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Falcons are a sinking ship, I'll bet he's glad he got a life boat.

There's a few coaches that aren't going to have jobs next year... maybe they can take Brian Billick away from the Ravens? I can be hopeful, right?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry but I believe that this guy is a wuss, resigning of a team that he commited during the off-season. Sorry he knew what he got into when he signed the contract, he knew it would be rough times, and now he quits on his team and this organization, sorry but I don't agree with that. I have a different opinion when a played demands a trade, but when it comes to a coach who does type of stuff, I don't agree with.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't agree with it either, but he'll definitely have more success at the college level, which is why I said it was a good move for him. He should have never bolted for the NFL in the first place, but I guess he couldn't turn down a $24 million contract.

what a HUGE coward...call me old fashioned, but you should definitely finish what you start, especially being a head coach in the NFL. If the Falcons were in playoff position this year, I'm sure he'd stay for the good times...100% CLASSLESS MOVE.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
In his Monday Morning Quarterback column this week, Peter King mentioned that the Falcons denied Petrino permission to speak to Arkansas a couple days before he took the job. No wonder Blank has been so pissed over this.

neum985

I pwn noobs
I think this was smart for him. He didnt do it properly granted, but this is a story where a guy went for happiness not for the money. Its not often you see that so i love that he did it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think this was smart for him. He didnt do it properly granted, but this is a story where a guy went for happiness not for the money. Its not often you see that so i love that he did it.
How do you feel about Rich Rodriguez leaving West Virginia then? Leaving his alma mater for more money/prestige.