Pet allergic to food?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by AnitaKnapp, May 19, 2010.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

So my dog has had chronic ear infections as long as I can remember. I've taken him to the vet several times for it. They've even put him to sleep and cleaned out his ears, and then packed them with medicine. The infections always come back. At least one of his ears is always irritated.

So, this last time I took him to the vet for his annual check up, I complained about his ears again. The vet had a look into them, and said that they are very clean, and he sees no reason why they should be irritated. Of course, I clean the dog's ears all the time since he is prone to infection. Now, the doctor thinks that it is a food allergy. He says that sometimes allergies (especially in dogs) will show up in the form of irritating the ear.

So now I'm supposed to find a dog food that is fish/sweet potato, that does not contain any of the following ingredients: beef, lame, chicken, corn, wheat, rice, gluten.

So far, this has been a very difficult task. Most dog foods don't list that they're for dogs with food allergies. Most of them don't even list what the main protein/carb is...so I'm having to read every single ingredient label on a bag of dog food.

So, I was going to see if maybe someone already knew about dog food for dogs with allergies, and would be able to steer me in the right direction, before attempting another pet store and reading every label on the bag.

Last edited: May 19, 2010

2. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    AnitaKnapp likes this.
  3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Thank you so much!

They had the ingredient list on the website too, so I was able to read through that as well. It looks like it's exactly what I need. I'll specifically look for that brand first.