Personal Space

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I'm not one of those people who has a problem with people getting up close and personal with me, quite the contrary. However there are times when I feel like my personal space has taken a needless raping. It seems like some people just don't get the sanctity of personal space.
Probably the place that I encounter this the most is on public transport. A few days ago I was on the train, sitting alone, listening to my ipod. All of a sudden I just see this kid walking up to me, stopping and just looking. Naturally at first I think there must be something wrong with me, so I check my reflection in the window and everythings normal but the kid is still starring. This is forgivable, despite the fact it's annoying I can understand that young kids don't understand it's rude to get so close to someone and just stare at them. I did wonder where the hell her parents were but that's beside the point.
It's when adults do it that it really gets to me, you all know what kind of space invader I'm talking about. The girl who sits in the seat directly next to you in an empty train coach. The man who picks the urinal next to yours in an empty public toilet.
How highly do you guys value your own personal space?

DLFerguson

Registered Member
I like for people to keep at least an arm's length away from me unless they're friends/family.

As for the kid staring at you: it must be an epidemic going around because I and many other people have noticed the same thing. It's almost creepy in an "Invasion Of the Body Snatchers" kind of way. I've noticed it in the last year or so. I'll be walking down the street and somebody walking toward me will actually stare at me as they're walking past. Like you, I check my appearance in the nearest window as I figure there must be something wrong but I look fine.

I'll even be in my car and stop for a red light. The driver in the car next to me will turn to look at me and continue to stare right at me until the light changes red! It's very unnerving.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I don't understand the staring bit either but even at work some of the nurses have this habit of coming right up to me not even an arms length away almost to my face and I try to back away but sometimes there is a wall and I can't go anywhere.

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
i tseems like everytime im in public there is always a strange baby staring at me. i hate it. but i dont mind being close to people, although i have been grabbed innappropriatly in wave pools at theme parks on many occasions.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
As a mom, I gave up any semblance of personal space years ago. By the end of the day I'm usually done with kids hanging on me and have to find someway to have no one touch me for 15 min. Other then that, I'm a very touchy feely person and love to be close to those I'm talking to and interacting with.

As for weird people staring at me, luckily I haven't had anyone do it in close proximity for a while, but I agree, strangers def need to observe strict standards of personal boundries.

Rectify88

Registered Member
I hardly value it at all. It really just doesn't phase me. If there is a girl sitting net to me on an empty coach and just stares, and if she above 21, I really wouldn't mind I'd just think it would be nice if she asked me out (Laughs), but I digress. The only time I like personal space, is at events like gatherings and Parties nd such. I like to be left to my own devices, especial if it's a small place.

All of a sudden I just see this kid walking up to me, stopping and just looking.
The Omen, anybody?! -__-

I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this. I love enjoying my personal space, but at the same time if I see something weird, I'll stare.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's when adults do it that it really gets to me, you all know what kind of space invader I'm talking about. The girl who sits in the seat directly next to you in an empty train coach. The man who picks the urinal next to yours in an empty public toilet.
How highly do you guys value your own personal space?
The person beside you who reads what you're reading....

The stranger who sits too close to you...

The stranger who stares at you...

I value my personal space when it comes to dealing with strangers. However, I can be the opposite when it comes to friends/family. I allow people to get close until I cannot take it anymore, then I withdraw. :shifteyes:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Yeah I suppose a lot of it comes down to how comfortable you are with the people in your space. I like it when loved ones are close but hate it when strangers or people who make me uncomfortable are in my personal space. In rare occasions with strangers though, some people just have warm qualities about them which I kind of unwillingly welcome into my space whereas most strangers just seem like their forcing their way in.