Personal Freedom

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by oxyMORON, Jun 4, 2006.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I read an interesting aritcle the other day about personal freedom. Some guy said that there is no such thing as personal freedom because there are laws, schools, churches, etc. that limit a person to what he/she can really do.

I personally think that there can be personal freedom. Although it may not be the kind with no boundaries whatsoever. It can still exist within society and within rules.

Do you guys think this is just a crazy man's rambling or does he actually have a point?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, if a society was one of true libertarianism, than yes there would be personal freedom in the sense described. But in a lot of Western societies these days (the U.S notwithstanding), there really aren't an excessive amount of rules, unless your idea of "personal freedom" is violating property rights or murdering people.

3. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I think there is definitely personal freedom... If you really really want to, you can do pretty much whatever you want... now of course, depending on what you do, there may be consequences to your actions. Still, in this society, there isn't much that is restricted by consequences besides things that are harmful to other people.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Libertarianism usually insists that your freedom disregards the effects upon others. However, any government would disagree with this, as it would contradict its purpose.

5. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

What you read was an abstract; personal freedom does exist but it does so within civilized boundaries of common law. A true freeocracy, wherein individuals are free to do whatever they wish, cannot exist since your wishes are sure to conflict with some else's wishes. The libertarian ideal: a freeocracy, has never existed nor will it. The closest to it is a Totalitarian Regime, and that is only true freedom for one and that regime is doomed from the start.

As opposed to this, the American experience, a true democracy, offers the most freedom of any society thus far. Enjoy it. Defend it. Praise it. Thank God for it.

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

You'd be SO much more credible if you didn't start waving your flag and your bible around after everything you say.

7. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

I am not embarrased to thank God for all I have amid the greatest democracy the world has ever seen. A wise man realizes this; an idiot ignores it.

8. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

You may not be embarrassed to thank God for your good fortune, and it is your personal freedom to do so... but in doing so you reduce your credibility in others' eyes. One does not have to be verbal about their thankfulness in order to realize it, especially when being so verbal makes you look ridiculous. A wise man realizes this; an idiot ignores it.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Oh?

Most presidential addresses, speeches, and even fireside chats - given to the nation and to millions viewing or listening - end with the phrase, "thank God" or "with God's Blessing" or an appeal to God.

10. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Anyway, he is saying we do not have personal freedom because there are laws to abide by. Obviously, if there were no laws or anything, do you think this would be a good place to live in? Of course not.