• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Perfect Directors/Film Makers

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Last year saw the death of the Hollywood director Tony Scott. Many were shocked by this, even more so when it was revealed that it was suicide when he launched himself off a bridge. On a film podcast I listen to the subject was naturally brought up. In the wake of it everyone spoke of how good of a director and producer he was.

I do like some of the films he had a hand in, I liked Enemy of the State, Crimson Tide and Beverly Hills Cop but it the problem is there will always be a part of some critics that will say "we will miss Tony, but Ridley was the better director" and I would agree. From a pure story and compelling environment stand point Ridley was better, he just was, I hate to use the word "legitimate" but I think his films were just on another level.

That however does not make him a bad director, just different. But the thing is I struggle to think of a perfect director, someone who has only made good films. Ridley made good films such as Alien and Bladerunner but he also made the god awful piece of shit that is "a good year" and "gladiator". Same with James Cameron, he made the Brilliant Aliens and Terminator 2 but he also made Titanic and Terminator 3.

I guess what I can draw from this is there is no one prefect director, everyone does fluff and ultimately you cannot keep everyone happy, I am not a film snob as some have said I am, I simply know what I like and what I dislike but for me the closest to perfect directors or film makers would be:

Quentin Tarrentino (though I hate Jackie Brown)
Hayao Miyazaki (though I still have not been able to make it though "howls moving castle")

It is a short list but I intend to build on this as I get more inspiration.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Being human, they're all going to put out some pieces of shit. Francis Coppola, who made 3 of the greatest films ever in The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, and Apocalypse Now, also made Jack.

Scorsese comes pretty close to being perfect.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I would agree on Hayao Miyazaki. He has not made a film yet that I've thought was less than average, let alone average. In fact, I consider Howl's Moving Castle to be his best film so far. It is adult, nuanced and multi layered, and demands repeat viewings (which is not a chore when it comes to a Miyazaki film).

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I have to agree with Jeanie, you're not going to find a movie maker who hasn't made a bad movie. Coppola is probably my favorite because of The Godfather I and II and Apocalypse Now was pretty damn good also, and to be honest I kinda liked Jack, but you're not going to find a perfect movie maker.

PS. I should add I really like Gladiator, I thought it was a pretty good movie, even of the historical accuracy was way off.

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Jackie Brown was awesome, gin. I will eat your FACE.

I'm gonna go with Christopher Nolan or The Coen Brothers. In terms of "perfection," I'm leaning more towards Nolan because of Inception, Memento and the Dark Knight Trilogy. Those are some really, really well made movies.

I also loved Stanley Kubrick. I know he was a bit of a psychopathic director, but the guy knew how to get the job done. 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are perfect examples of his craft.

For foreign films, I go with Takashi Miike. I love his pace and methodology. Like Audition for example, is one of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen and it has very little to do with gore or guts and waaaaaaaaaaaaay more to do with psychology because it starts out slow and boring, but the last 30 minutes of the movie is probably the most intense thing you'll ever watch.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Francis Coppola, Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, John Ford, love his westerns. I don't know if any of them were perfect though. I don't know if anyone is perfect all the time.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.

I'm gonna go with Christopher Nolan or The Coen Brothers. In terms of "perfection," I'm leaning more towards Nolan because of Inception, Memento and the Dark Knight Trilogy. Those are some really, really well made movies.

I also loved Stanley Kubrick. I know he was a bit of a psychopathic director, but the guy knew how to get the job done. 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are perfect examples of his craft.

For foreign films, I go with Takashi Miike. I love his pace and methodology. Like Audition for example, is one of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen and it has very little to do with gore or guts and waaaaaaaaaaaaay more to do with psychology because it starts out slow and boring, but the last 30 minutes of the movie is probably the most intense thing you'll ever watch.
Christpher Nolan is a great choice. I haven't seen anything bad that he has done. As a huge Superman fan I'm excited about the movie coming out although I'm hoping they don't stray too far from the original story. I will say I'm glad he's the one making it though because the guy is a great film maker.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
CO, correction. Nolan is producing Man Of Steel, Zac Snyder (not a good track record of quality) is directing it.

Regardless, Nolan is so precise and articulate with exactly what shots he wants to use and how he directs each character, from the lead to the supporting cast. Memento is a prime example of that. Inception stands out as well. It oozes with his film style and I could tell it was a Nolan film.

Stanley Kubrick would be #1 on my list. 2001, Clockwork, and FMJ are among my top 20 films of all time, and all of which, in their own way, influenced their genre. He made a few clunkers, but he was great.

... and dammit Bubs, your mention of Miike was spot on. Audition was tense and gripping, and 13 Assassins ranks among my top 5 foreign films (of which 3 are Japanese) of all-time. Audition had shades of "In the Realm of the Senses" (a '76 Nagisa Oshima classic), and that is a good recollection.

To add a new one to the list, I am surprised no one mentioned Danny Boyle or Darren Aronofsky. Both have made surprisingly stunning films 9 times out of 10, and I rank them among my favorite current directors.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out, I just assumed he was directing it as well. I agree with you though, watching movies like Inception and Memento you could tell it's one of his films and they were both great movies, as were the Batman movies. In my opinion he made the other Batman movies look rather silly.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Sorry Bubbles but no. Not only do I think it is one of Tarrentinos worst but up there with one of the worst (and I sat through both Human Centipede films) films I have ever seen, the story was bad, the dialouge was rubbish aside from the line:

"AK47, when you absolutely, positively have to kill EVERY mother fucker in the room?! Except not substitute"

I was given it on DVD by a mate who was having a clean out so I may give it another go but honestly I don't think my opinion will change.