• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

People who pull sickies

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
"Oh crap," said the person, "I've got a sniffle. Dear can you ring work for me, I won't be in today."

Are you the sort who pulls 'sickies'? Even though your 'illness' isn't that bad? I know people do this, I mean, there's no proof of course, although the absence of 'sick notes' for some do help confirm the notion. And knowing people who've told me they've done it -- I think I've noticed it recently because lots seem to have time off, and most I suspect are just bunged up with a bit of a cold. --

They don't eat paracetamols and put up with it. They just phone in. What is this you say? "But someone else might get it." -- "You can cover your mouth can't you, and not cough on people?" -- "But I feel like I'm going to die." --- Irritating.

It wouldn't bother me, except I go in if I have a cold or a 'mild flu' or whatever. I end up doing more work than I should have to regardless of healthiness. Although I suppose this doesn't bother me either, because I'd rather be working than sitting at home doing sod all...

I think I just can't get my head around the people who actually do this. Their reasons. I mean, they won't be getting paid, they may end up lumbering colleagues (and quite probably) friends, with the shitload of work. When they could quite easily do their job, I mean certain things need doing, and their absence can potentially put a great big spanner in the gears.
I mean, where I work, in a shop, to work with a cold is no problem, it's not that strenuous yet they still phone in.

Anyway my question is:

Do you pull sickies?
Do you go into work with colds and the like?
What do you think of the regular 'sickie' people?

BE HONEST!!

Dabs

Registered Member
No, I don't pull sickies......by that meaning, if I have a little cold or a little cough, (because I rarely even get those)...I would still go in.
And I can keep myself confined to my cubby, as I call it, so it shouldn't be a bother to anyone.
After I was told about the cancer tho, things have changed a little somewhat.
I have to take more days off work, to visit the doctor, than before I got this......and I have been fairly lucky all my life, with not hardly getting sick.
I feel more fatigue now than anything else.
But I know a couple people like you are talking about......one fella thinks if he has one sniffle...he has to grab a whole box of tissue and walk around grasping it with both hands, and screaming at everyone that he hopes nobody else gets the crud because he's forced to sit thru misery and work.
Then if his job gets half ass complete, he'll blame it on the sickness.
I think he is a lazy ass whiney ass baby.

Impact

V.I.P.
Firstly, I think your idea and my idea of pulling a sickie is a little different. Pulling a sickie in my book is when you aren't sick at all, just feel like the day off, whereas you seem to be describing people who are slightly sick.

I'm pretty sure everyone at some point has pulled a sickie just because they felt like not going in. I know i've been guilty of it a couple times. I call them mental health, or personal days.

As for when i'm actually sick, I try not to go in a spread it around. I mean, if I have a head cold, or slight headache, i'll go in. But if i'm sneezing and coughing everywhere i'll take the day off. No-one appreciates being coughed on or bugs being spread round, so taking a day or two off is better than going in and making a bunch of other people sick so they take time off too. I was always told at my old job not to bother coming in and making everyone sick, even if I felt up to work.

As for the people who pull a sickie a certain day each week, say Mondays or Friday afternoons. Well, I think they should be given a warning of some sort.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
As Imp said, pulling a sickie to me means when you're not actually sick. But yeah, anyway.

I have never done this before, but then, I've only ever had one proper job (during my gap year) and I didn't even have a shift every single weekday.

I'd go into work with a mild cold or whatever because they don't really bother me at all and I'd probably just feel worse for staying at home. I'm more likely to call in sick if I'm hungover or something. :shifteyes: Which I wouldn't do if it means others have to do my work for me and I'm not getting paid anyway.

As for the people that do this, well, I thought most people did to be honest. It's not fair if others have to fill in for them but it beats spreading germs around the office.

BigBob

Registered Member
Like Lauren and Rebecca said, pulling a sickie is not being sick at all and calling off in my book.

The problem with being sick and going to work with my job, everyone will get sick because we sit about 4 feet away from each other, so if someone has a "sniffle", then that could turn the whole center into a big germ orgy and get everyone sick.

We've had 3 times this year where someone who had a "sniffle" came to work and over 1/2 the center got sick.

Do I do this? No, I never call off.. but again, we all have different opinions on what a "sickie" is.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In the last year an half I've only called in sick once. I wasn't feeling well at all so I emailed by director to tell him that I wasn't coming in. I've left my work early a few times because I wasn't feeling well, but I rarely do that either. A lot of people that I work with calls in sick a lot, I don't know if there "sickies" or not but they do it often.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Firstly, I think your idea and my idea of pulling a sickie is a little different. Pulling a sickie in my book is when you aren't sick at all, just feel like the day off, whereas you seem to be describing people who are slightly sick.

I'm pretty sure everyone at some point has pulled a sickie just because they felt like not going in. I know i've been guilty of it a couple times. I call them mental health, or personal days.

As for when i'm actually sick, I try not to go in a spread it around. I mean, if I have a head cold, or slight headache, i'll go in. But if i'm sneezing and coughing everywhere i'll take the day off. No-one appreciates being coughed on or bugs being spread round, so taking a day or two off is better than going in and making a bunch of other people sick so they take time off too. I was always told at my old job not to bother coming in and making everyone sick, even if I felt up to work.

As for the people who pull a sickie a certain day each week, say Mondays or Friday afternoons. Well, I think they should be given a warning of some sort.
this. i agree with everything she said.

i think it's stupid if people go into work if they are coughing and sneezing everywhere, you're going to spread it and cause other people to call out or get sick.... but if it's not serious, then you should go in.

i have had to call out of work every day since saturday and today is my first day going back, I had a really bad case of sinusitis that kicked my ass.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
We have 10 sick days a year that we can use at anytime through out the year. I only call in when I have a really bad hangover. So I will typically call in 3 times a year. I go to work with a cold or if I am sick most of the time. I am not around people and my job doesn't demand that much to work through the day sick.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No I have no pulled any sickies.

I havent been sick in the better part of 6 maybe even stretching to 10 years. So I have two things going against me when it comes to this... the first... I'm just honestly next to never sick so for me to pull a sick day would be something obvious and the bossman would figure it out. Secondly... because of that record, I havent missed a day of work... ever, not even for personal vacations. So its a streak I'm generally proud of and not really in an expediant hurry to lose.

Then on top of those two... my boss is a douchebag and would literally drive by my house to make sure I was there. :heh:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Like Goat I have a streak that I'm kind of proud of and hardly ever get sick. I've never called in sick to work in my life, so no, I've never pulled a sickie.