• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or PETA

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm going to be straightforward here, do you support them and why or why not?

For me, it's a flat no. I like a lot of what they fight for but they do not believe in pets, they do not believe in using animal products for ANYTHING, including medicine (don't tell their insulin-using vice president) and they've paid the legal bills for a known terrorist (a man who firebombs animal testing labs).

It sucks because I want to help support animal rights but I would never do it through these guys and it sickens me because I know so many pet owners who give them money and they simply have no idea who they're giving money to. This is what PETA has to say to you:

PETA President I. Newkirk said:
For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship — enjoyment at a distance
Sourced from Wikipedia

Oh and they kill animals, 85% of their rescues to be specific.

Discuss.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
They are out there for a good cause, but like a lot of things, they got corrupt and pull some really stupid stunts, and I mean I get why they kill off so many animals, seeing as the cost to keep them all healthy would be absolutely enormous, I don't really blame them for that.

I mean would you rather have them all be alive and suffering in ill conditions or have some be great and happy?

You take your pick, either or, unless you want to make a difference about it or start throwing your life savings at them.

-

Also Wikipedia, eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

-

They need a change in leadership and a brand new PR department with all new employees and everything though, definitely.

Zenheizer

needs practice
Agreed, and no.

I love my pets, I've had two dogs, one cat and three guinea pigs in my life and they are wonderful companions. But they are pets. In my opinion, put on this Earth for our use.

We as a species have overcome primal instincts to the tune of thoughtful intelligence.
And...that's something to be proud of. Animal husbandry is an important part of human civilization, and we would still be nomads if it weren't for the taming of wolves into dogs, which helped us stay put and live in one spot. Animals provide many proteins that allowed our brains to grow, and by breeding and farming livestock our lives got easier.
Animals and humans...are not equal, what are you crazy? Yes, treat them humanely when you can, but ultimately I care much more about my fellow man than the rights of animals. Which would you pick:
Save a starving child, or a starving dog?

Last edited:

Elanor

Registered Member
Whilst I support the idea of treating animals ethically and with respect, I completely disagree with they way in which PETA go about making their point. Their tactics make them come across as insensitive and uncaring, which surely is the complete opposite of what they should be trying to achieve? They have made excuses for the euthanising of cats and dogs, such as they didn't want to keep them in cramped cages, well then, with all the millions of dollars buy a field and build an animal friendly shelter where they can have space to be animals.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I used to be a supporter of PETA back in the day when I was blissfully ignorant to what they ACTUALLY do - i.e. euthanize cats and dogs while asking for fucking donations. No more. They're a bunch of shady hypocrites. Not just that, but EVERYTHING is animal cruelty to them. Remember when they tried to rename fish "sea kittens" so people would stop fishing? Hell, some of their members are opposed to blind people having seeing eye dogs. And it's pathetic how they use idiot celebrities like Pam Anderson to brainwash people into giving them money. They're not a charity. If anything, they're a business.

I love animals. I hate to see them abused and mistreated in anyway. In fact, my love for them is the reason why I'm a vegetarian. However, I would never fork over money to PETA. I would much rather make a donation to my local animal shelters before I give them a penny.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't support them, their tactics I sometimes agree with but so often they go so far overboard I'm surprised they haven't been labeled a terrorist group. I don't think blowing things up, smashing window or harassing kids is the way to help animals but they seem to.

I'm not surprised that they and the Humane Society kill animals but I am surprised the Humane Society is their allies. I'm glad no kill shelters are catching on.

When they have stopped whaling ships from killing whales I applauded them but they should not be allowed to dictate to the rest of us if we can hunt, fish, wear leather or have pets but that seems to be their goal.

A breakdown of everything wrong with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
http://newsflavor.com/opinions/whats-wrong-with-peta/

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
They are out there for a good cause, but like a lot of things, they got corrupt and pull some really stupid stunts, and I mean I get why they kill off so many animals, seeing as the cost to keep them all healthy would be absolutely enormous, I don't really blame them for that.
I totally do. They publically shame and humiliate people for doing things to animals yet they do not try to curb the amount of people bringing them animals despite the fact that they are not a rescue organization. Besides, they get tons of funding from people, it wouldn't be a lot of money for them, they just don't want to do it.

Also Wikipedia, eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica - CNET News

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I totally do. They publically shame and humiliate people for doing things to animals yet they do not try to curb the amount of people bringing them animals despite the fact that they are not a rescue organization. Besides, they get tons of funding from people, it wouldn't be a lot of money for them, they just don't want to do it.

Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica - CNET News
I feel like their funding would of dramatically decreased over the past few years here and yeah they have no excuse for being hypocritical corrupt write offs.

-

They won't increase the housing space they have, and will stick with what they have so they can go picket at random locations or whatever else in their super disorganized excuse of an organization.

Things like ethical killing of animals is just buried in some fine print somewhere so they do it. People confuse 'ethnics' and the group with keeping animals alive, when it is just about humane procedures in the end.

-

So yeah, I stick with it, I'd rather a lesser amount of animals live in decent conditions than many living in cramped housing. At least they do that much unlike the what the animal factories tend to do.

---

I rarely use either to begin with.

Wikipedia has gotten better with it's article moderation but I still won't be using it for anything serious in the near future, nor will I use Britannica any time soon for anything serious, doesn't matter how accurate they are or aren't, they just are low on my list of resources. What else should I say?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There's already been multiple threads about PETA on this forum, some even in the last year. I've explained my thoughts in those, but if I have to again then no, I don't support them. And most animal rights activists I know don't either, since many of their campaigns are so ridiculous that they make the rest of us look like a joke.