People Dislike FOX News

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Not because they're right wing.

Not because they "tell it like it is."

Not because of Glenn Beck, Blubberin' Bill O'Reily or any other pundit

People dislike FOX news because like all other news outlets, they twist their facts to meet their own agendas, the only difference is FOX pretends to be unbiased.

Discuss.

Do you agree?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I disagree, I think people dislike Fox News because unlike the other television news outlets they provide a perspective that is Pro-Business Pro-Conservative.

I've never understood the hatred some have for Fox News, I think it's kind of silly. I'm not a big fan of MSNBC, for example, but I do watch it from time to time to get a different perspective. But I don't go on and on about how much I hate them, what does that accomplish?

I watch Bill Maher's show on HBO almost every week and while I disagree with him about 90% of the time, I appreciate the perspective he and his guests give. Do I hate Maher? No, why would I waste my time hating someone who I don't even know based on his politics?

I've never understood the hatred for Fox News and probably never will. I know there are many who disagree with their slant in coverage and their opinion shows, but it would be a real shame if there was no television media outlet that gave a different perspective.

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I think it's a mix of all the things the OP stated, which is why I don't them at all.

4. Merc

I've never hated FOX News, but I really dislike their advertising themselves as an unbiased news source. It was an idea I had on the way into work. I was thinking to myself after listening to a story on the radio, "Why else would people so strongly despise FOX?"

Captain, do you disagree that they parade themselves as unbiased? I could show you some banner ads, TV commercials and such that say otherwise! I just don't like that kind of dishonesty because by displaying themselves as such, they can report the news as if it's solid, non-partisan fact which is clearly is not. MSNBC is most definitely on the left tilt, I think most would agree, so why is it wrong to claim that Fox is right wing?

But overall, I just wish they'd be honest with their viewers rather than pretending to not have a slant.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I do think they are the most fair though. During the primaries they were the most fair to Hillary Clinton by far. The rest of the left leaning media fell in love with Obama and did everything they could to protray her in a negative light.

During the campaign itself I thought they were pretty fair to Obama and McCain. O'Reilly's interview with Obama was fair, he didn't try to trap him in "gotcha answers" and make him look bad. They did talk alot about his association with Reverand Wright but to be fair the Clinton campaign brought that up first during the primary.

All in all I agree they have a slant but I would still say they are still more fair to both sides in their reporting, in my opinion. I wouldn't say they are close to being in your face slant like MSNBC, for example.

6. Merc

See, this to me is just flat wrong. Nothing personal, you're obviously entitled to your opinion CO but after watching several news sources for some time now (and you for even longer I'd imagine) I just don't know how you can't see Fox's slant and it is most definitely in your face. Not to mention, just listening you can see how they love to point fingers at "liberals". Everything they see that they do not like is "liberal". They have a very polarizing way of seeing the world.

Once again, I'm not saying they're the only ones that do it.

See, I never even heard of MSNBC's supposed bias until I joined these forums. I never watched MSNBC so it was news (hur hur) to me. I also realize that it means that Fox gets much more heat because despite what everyone wants to tell you, there most certainly is a left tilt in most news media and thus it's inevitable that Fox would be cornered and mocked.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

They are genius marketeers. I'd like to see a comparison of when the book Bias by Berny Goldberg came out and when Fox started pushing the idea that they are "Fair and Balanced". They probably saw a vacuum and filled it. The question is are they really far and balanced or are they as far right as the other networks are left. I personally don't see it. As CO said, when you break down the last election, Fox seemed to be much more fair. I've posted the Pew research that showed the neg/positive stories for Obama and McCain across the media and Fox was certainly the most fair when it came to the Presidential election.
    Right yes, are far right as others are left, no.

8. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

An article I read recently put it best: The problem is that Fox News is often more of a PAC that tries to state that it is completely unbiased. The article used the example of how ridiculous it would be if Moveon.org created a news station and expected everyone to treat it as "fair and balanced." I can't remember if it was an op-ed article or The Daily Show, lol, but the point remains valid.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

It has always been my opinion that your perception of bias is dependent on your political views. I have often heard those with far left views say that CNN and similar outlets have a right-wing bias, whereas those with far right views think Fox is unbiased. In any case, pundits on the right have long liked to try and push the window by calling everything that does not push their agenda 'biased'. Just politics as usual. I dislike Fox because I disagree with its pundits, think many of its newscasters often show an agenda, and consider it generally obnoxious.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I it seems pretty safe to say that some people hate Fox because they're right wing.

I know for a fact that some people hate them because of the pundits.

Pretty much all mainstream media claims some to be (at least somewhat) unbiased.

What I find interesting is that if you ask a hundred adults to name right-wing media sources, almost every one of them would probably say Fox. If you asked for left-wing sources, I would be surprised if any of them received much more than 50%. Is Fox really THAT much more biased?

I could have sworn I heard CNN had a left-wing bias (but I could be remembering wrong).