Pennies

Dabs

Registered Member
When you see a penny lying on the ground, do you reach down and pick it up??
Or do you just give it a quick glance and think to yourself it's not the worth the effort, and just leave it there??
My favorite Aunt always picked up pennies, she'd say "Oops,there's a penny" and she'd reach down and retrieve it :)
It was funny, one day I said to her.."Ok, now just 999 more of them and you just might be able to buy something!" :lol:
Then I had a sort of a religious/spiritual friend tell me that when I see a penny on the ground, it was my Mother's way of giving me a sign she was doing fine in Heaven.
I guess you hear all kinds of tales about stuff like this.
Anyway, do you grab that penny or not??

Saffy

Registered Member
we have a rhyme says ... see a penny pick it up, all day you'll have good luck:D
where i live now this sort of evolved into picking up the penny, but to have good luck you have to give it to someone else:rolleyes::confused::lol:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
A penny is useless, I usually drop pennies on the ground or put them in dontation containers when I get some pennies. I don't know anybody that pays in pennies. Every price should end in a 5 or a 0.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A penny is useless, I usually drop pennies on the ground or put them in dontation containers when I get some pennies. I don't know anybody that pays in pennies. Every price should end in a 5 or a 0.

You say that... until you've bought something with over $1,000 worth of pocket change.

I bought my Canon Rebel DSLR Camera with nothing and I mean NOTHING but Pocket Change. When I went to the bank, Pennies was the second largest denomination of Coins that I had. Something like over $250 bucks worth.

That really put every penny in perspective for me. I mean heck, 5 years worth of Passive Saving of loose change by just throwing it in a bucket next to my laundry and I was able to buy a Camera worth over a Grand.

And making everything cost in a denomination ending in either 0 or 5 is a Tax Payers nightmare. Because we all know the Fed will never ever round down so that means you'll always be paying in excess of what you normally would if it were in exact change down to the .01

When I see pennies on the ground, I do in fact pick them up.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't pick up coins off the ground unless it's at least a nickel, but I do save all of my change, including pennies. Like icegoat said, every cent adds up over time and after a few years of saving, depending on how often you buy things with cash, take your coins to the bank and exchange them for a nice chunk of money.

wolfy

Registered Member
I pick them up and add them to the change jar.. I often use the change jar to donate to charity when it gets to a significant amount, which doesn't take long at all.

Dabs

Registered Member
I pick them up and add them to the change jar.. I often use the change jar to donate to charity when it gets to a significant amount, which doesn't take long at all.

Funny you mentioned change jars..we had a Relay For Life, this past Saturday, to rase money for cancer, it was a county wide event.
One lady had taken the small pint size jars they use for canning, and made a slot in the lid and decorated the jars in pretty butterflies for girls and sports for boys...painted and with stickers.
Then she attached a little note to each that reads something about every time you place a penny in this jar, say a blessing (not sure of the exact wording)...but it was the neatest thing.
And she was only charging $1. a piece, and even had a few pennies in each jar to start :)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't usually pick them up. I've become a little bit of a germaphobe. I would say that mine is very mild, though.

I would be more inclined to pick it up if I were throwing it into a change jar...but I spend my coins when I have them.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I never pick up coins on the ground. I just leave them there for somebody else who does. I fill up my change box fast enough already so I don't really need anymore. But when we run for pizza or something and they have a charity jar there, I always drop my change in it. It helps somebody and I don't have to deal with the change after that! :nod:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
That must have been a massive change jar, IceGoat. :-o When I see pennies on the ground I try to see how far I can take them w/ me by kicking them, just like I do with most things on the ground.