Pen pals and the lost art of writing a letter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Syndicate, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

I'll be honest - I'm not even sure when I last wrote an informal letter to anyone. Since email hit the big time, I've found no reason or motivation to ever write one. Even my aunties and uncles are available via email. I wonder when the next will ever be written.

This wasn't always the case. In my early teenage years, I had a couple of 'Pen Pals'. One girl in particular though that I stayed in contact for years.

Our school teamed up with another from northern England, the names went in a hat and we began exchanging letters once a week with our match. I used to really enjoy it. It was exciting when her letter came through the post, sealed up with stickers and whatnot. I gave the letter my full attention too.

I enjoy the ease and reach of email but for me, it lacks the same personal touch and excitement of a letter.

Did you ever have a pen pal? Tell us a little about them. Perhaps you still do? (There are plenty of pen pal websites around)

And, outside of work, how often do you write letters?

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

No pen pals.

I use to write my sister who lives in New York letters all the time. Every since we both got hooked up online we stop doing it. It's easier, faster, we can spell check :)P) and send funny Internet sites to each other. It works out great between both of us.

I understand that the letter is more meaningful and whatnot, but to me, I find that it clutters the mailbox and takes effort better spent elsewhere (Internet). I prefer e-mail and I believe my family does, too.

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I wrote a letter to someone almost 3 years ago to the day, now it's email and Facebook from here on out.

4. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

It really is a shame. It's strange that you bring up this matter right about now, because I JUST mentioned it to my friend Courtney in the U.S. We decided we were not going to type to each other and just write. Being in Europe, it became a pain in the a$$ waiting forever.
    That was when I did enjoy the realization that the Internet does bring us 'closer', but not in the sense that letters do.
    The waiting for a response to an e-mail is certainly exciting, and it does feel good to have her e-mail address show up when I open my gmail account, but it's nothing like getting the envelope in the mail.

Plus, when I first started writing to her, I realized that my handwriting had deteriorated. I used to have excellent handwriting. It's been about 5 years now, and the only time Courtney and I use the internet to communicate is if it's an emergency or if we really need to hear each others' voice.

If only I could have my own wax seal stamp. Now THAT would be excellent.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

A proper letter.....probably years. I virtually have never written a letter to someone. The nearest I've ever got to writting a letter would probably be sending post cards whilst on holiday.

6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I don't write letters anymore. When I was in school I used to write letters to my friends at home and hand them over the next day. They'd do it back and it became a bit of a trend.

I had a pen pal when I was in my early teens but we got bored and stopped writing to each other. After a while there was nothing left to talk about so we just lost touch.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I appreciate writing and sending snail mail (mostly postcards with personalised note). I collect them too. And I live next to the post office so that just makes it easier.