Pedro May Pitch For Mets Next Week

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

AP - Pedro Martinez threw so well in a bullpen session on Friday that he may return to the Mets next week without making another minor league rehab start.

With New York's NL East lead down to two games following a four-game sweep in Philadelphia, Mets officials watched Martinez throw about 53 pitches over 20 minutes before Friday's series opener at Turner Field.

GM Omar Minaya said the three-time Cy Young Award winner may start for the Mets on Monday in Cincinnati. Martinez had surgery Oct. 5 to repair a torn rotator cuff and hasn't pitched in the major leagues since Sept. 27 last year.

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/7401/20070901/pedro_may_pitch_for_mets_next_week/

2. Cynical

Cynical Guest

Honestly I'm expecting him to get his a$$ hammered. He was by no means even remotely impressive in his rehab starts.............I know he was not going all out but, I just cant imagine him back without alot of rust, and I question whether or not this is the right move to make. Pedro is getting up there in age, he has not pitched the entire season and the Mets pitching staff is not all that bad.............its not like they are in deperate need to have Pedro back, so why not let me sit out the season and play fall ball to get ready for next year?

3. Babe_Ruth

He did loose a lot of velocity on his fast ball, and he'll need to become a control pitcher for the rest of his career, he won't be able to blow his fastball by the hitters anymore.

I personally don't know what to expect from Pedro, like you said his rehab starts haven't been to pretty, but on the other hand this is Pedro. He'll probably show some rust when he does come back, and will probably on a low pitch count.

I disagree with you saying that they should shut him down till next season, I believe he's going to help the rotation, and the playoffs are coming up soon, and he can be a key asset to that rotation and the Mets.

4. Cynical

Cynical Guest

Oh I agree he can help any rotation, but I have to wonder................what if he is not fully ready and gets hurt again? Then what?

5. Babe_Ruth

I think the Mets organization have been really careful of not rushing him this year, that's why he's only going to make his debut in September. Also if he does get hurt again then that's part of the game. Pedro knows when he's going to be ready, and that's why he's slowly making his way back into baseball. He'll probably have a couple of bullpen sessions in the next upcoming days, and he and the Mets coaching staff will be able to see if he's ready to return.

6. Cynical

Cynical Guest

I can see where you are coming from, but I would be much more comfortable if he were to start atleast 1 more rehab start before coming back. Lets just hope his location is on, because without that he is going to knocked around a bit

7. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

The Mets organization know that Pedro Martinez is a big key for them to win a title this year. So there's no way they'd rush him back. Especially that there leading the NL East right now and on there way of winning the division. Also Pedro as been in the league long enough that he knows when his body is ready. A rehad start is always good to have but if Pedro wants to face Major Leaguers then it his right to do so. It won't be a Pedro type of start were use to see from him, but he'll be sharp I know it. He has to much pride to struggle.

8. Babe_Ruth

Pedro pitched today, and he didn't seem rusty at all. He only pitched five innings. He only allowed two earn runs, five hits, three walks and he struck out four batters. Not to bad for a pitcher that hasn't pitched in a long time. The Mets must be very happy about his outing.