Peanut Butter: Salty or Sweet

Is Peanut Butter Salty or Sweet?

• Total voters

MissyGris

Registered Member
The great debate between my roommate and I.

Is peanut butter salty or sweet?

She votes salty, I vote sweet. I keep hearing from those that agree with her that peanuts, are salty, therefore peanut butter is salty. I remind them that salted peanuts are salty, and that is not what is in question. The peanutty taste. If you HAD to classify it under Salty or Sweet, which would you go with.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I guess sweet, but it's not really either one of the two. It's almost like asking if water is salty or sweet.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Would it taste good on potato chips or Dorito's? No, therefore sweet.

It tastes good with things like jelly which are definitely sweet so it's definitely more on the sweet side if you ask me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Would it taste good on potato chips or Dorito's? No, therefore sweet.

It tastes good with things like jelly which are definitely sweet so it's definitely more on the sweet side if you ask me.
Flavors don't have to match like that. You've never heard of sweet and sour sauce? Salt on a margarita?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Peanuts are generally mildly sweet, so one can assume peanut butter will taste mildly sweet.

As for the saltiness? Look at the ingredients --> If it says "salt", then chances are, the peanut butter will taste salty...

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Still, when I have it by itself it seems more sweet than sour if you ask me. One of my favorite sandwiches is the Monte Cristo which definitely mixes sweet and sour. :lol:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Peanuts are not known to be sweet. Add that along with the public knowledge that peanuts are most often served salted and voila! You have your answer: salty. Then again, some people say "Reese's" and they think sweet. Sorry, that's not peanut butter.