• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches?

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
What exactly is the "jelly" in PBJ sandwiches?

Is it jam?

(srs question here)

Dabs

Registered Member
I always thought it to be 'jelly'.....but I always prefer jam over jelly.
Concord's Grape Jam has a better taste than Grape jelly......it's richer, more dense-like.
And sometimes I like strawberry preserves.....but I don't eat a PBJ very often anymore~

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I always thought it to be 'jelly'.....but I always prefer jam over jelly.

You say you prefer jam over jelly? does this mean that the jelly in PBJ sandwiches isn't jam?

Now I'm even more confused. Is this another Americanism? Jelly is actually just jam?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think jelly (US) is jam (UK), and jam (US) is, like, fruit preserves (UK, I guess) or something?

Ok, I'm confused now too. I was content with not knowing this info before! :mad:

------

The terms jam and jelly are used in different parts of the English-speaking world in different ways. In the United States, both jam and jelly are sometimes popularly referred to as "jelly", whereas in the United Kingdom, Canada, India and Australia, the two terms are more strictly differentiated. In Australia and South Africa, the term jam is more popularly used as a generic term for both jam and jelly.[14][15]
To further confuse the issue, the term jelly is also used in the UK, South Africa, Australia, India and New Zealand to refer to a gelatin dessert, known in North America as jello, derived from the brand name Jell-O.

Last edited:

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Ok, so Americans call jelly Jello, so their jelly is our jam. right so it is peanut butter and jam.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I do believe that is correct. the bit that confuses me is what 'jam' is in the US.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Ok, so Americans call jelly Jello, so their jelly is our jam. right so it is peanut butter and jam.
Grape jelly is jelly. It's probably our number one fruit spread, which could explain why we say "peanut butter and jelly" and not "peanut butter and jam," even when preserves or actual jam (rare here) is used for the sammie.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
lol

jelly is smoother and beurky. but technically yes the J in PB&J stands for jelly.

as in "it's peanut butter jelly time"

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I'm trying to establish what jelly is in america and what jam is.

Let me lay it down;

UK:
Jam - Fruit spread (or a preserve) people usually put it on toast and the likes.
Jelly - Jello pudding, the wobbly crap.

America:
Jam- Fruit spread (or preserve)?
Jelly - Fruit spread (or preserve)?

Dabs

Registered Member
lol

jelly is smoother and beurky. but technically yes the J in PB&J stands for jelly.

as in "it's peanut butter jelly time"
Forgive me people, but what is this 'beurk' you speak of?? ~LoL~
Here in my part of the states, I can tell a huge difference between jelly and jam.
I personally like the taste of grape jam best.
But when making PBJs, a person could use strawberry jam, preserves, peach jelly, grape jelly, cherry jelly...whatever their little ole heart desires :)
------
Forgive me people, but what is this 'beurk' you speak of?? ~LoL~
Here in my part of the states, I can tell a huge difference between jelly and jam.
I personally like the taste of grape jam best.
But when making PBJs, a person could use strawberry jam, preserves, peach jelly, grape jelly, cherry jelly...whatever their little ole heart desires :)

Oh, and Jello is NOT the same as jelly here.
Jello is wobbly, and it's good chilled or topped with whipped cream, but I sure wouldn't wanna eat it with peanut butter~

Last edited: