PC trouble. (dDave)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dDave, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

no I don't have a crippling problem with my computer just an annoying one that i want to get fixed.

about a week ago I noticed that I can't turn off my computer, I go to start and hit shut down, and yeah it does it's thing, it saves settings ,logs out, etc... but then after it turns off it just turns itself back on automatically, so every night I have just been hitting the power switch on the power supply to make it so it doesn't turn back on.

now on to problem #2 I can't put my computer into standby. I mean the button's there and everything but it doesn't do anything after i click the standby button, it just sits on the saving settings screen, I come back a few hours later and it's still on that screen.

Any help with either of these problems would be great.

Mirage likes this.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Some kind of malware possibly? Did you run a virus scan and an adware/spyware scan?

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

First of all unplug(or disable wireless) and completely isolate the computer from any networks and try switching it off then. It could be a remote access hack.

Check your BIOS, (if your like me and lazy) the easiest thing to do is just to reset it by pulling the battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes. If your not lazy check the power options once in the BIOS and check for any false checks.

If that does not work, give your registry a good scan for any irregularities. I'd recommend Easycleaner and then maybe/or SpybotSearch&Destroy both are free!

If that does not work the only other thing could be power surges, maybe an electrical storm? your provider(do lights dim)?.............or more than likely a dodgy power unit(PSU)?

4. dDave

I have scans set to run a 4:00 p.m. every day and they run every day, so I know it's not malware.

The network theory is an interesting one but I'm pretty sure that my network is completely secure cause none of my other computers ever do this to me not to mention my network is locked and you need the WEP to enter it, but I'll check it out.

If not that I'll check the BIOS, it was just so long since before last week that I turned off my computer. (The last time the power went out I think) Usually if the power wasn't out then my machine was running, but as of a week ago i started turning it off to save 500W of power at night.

It's possibly a power supply problem so I might look into that as well.

Any other suggestions welcome.
    ------
    No I have great power at my house very nice constant flow of energy, lights don't flicker in the least.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
    Mirage likes this.
  5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Dont dismiss doing a scan with Easycleaner, your system might be as clean as a whistle and free from any bogeys but that does not mean your registry is in full functioning order! Its not difficult with prolonged use for things to go astray.

I still suspect it is in the BIOS, it is the only aspect that can really control on/off power.

Are you on a home built PC? If a PSU leaks power to the CPU/RAM it can kick-start your PC to life, it is not uncommon.

6. wicKedpanDa

wicKedpanDa Registered Member

a little thing i found recently in my bios: keyboard power on (you push a key, computer turns on). very unlikely... but if you have this on and have a stuck key it could be turning it on that way.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It just restarts automatically WHEN IT'S TURNED OFF?

Just unplug it each night. That will solve your problem. But honestly I don't know what this could be.

8. dDave

I'll definitely look into easy cleaner.

I'll look into the BIOS tomorrow and see what i can find.

I am using a custom built computer (home built).

no I don't need to unplug it i just need to switch the power switch on the back of the power supply, then after a second when the computer thinks it should be turning back on, you get a slight flash of the blue glowing lights then it just sits there and is actually off.

No I don't have any extra keys on my keyboard so that's definitely not it.
    ------
    Hmm... Thanks Bananas I had never heard of that program before (Easycleaner), I love it, I removed all of the unneccesary registry files and now my PC is faster than ever.
    I can see myself using this program for more things than just speeding up my computer though, I can even change the startup programs? Delete duplicates? Wow.

Unfortunately the computer automatically turning back on still persists, I need to take a closer look into the BIOS, I just sort of skimmed through it earlier.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

By stuck key he means a key that might have been pressed and is stuck and I have a question i just have to ask......

Are you sure you didn't click on standby or hibernate when attempting to shut it down ??

I went to the BIOS in my old computer and I noticed an option for auto restart and I clicked on no or disabled it, (can't remember which) and it has been fine since but I now have a new computer

10. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

That used to happen to mine when I swapped hard drives after I ghosted it. I have since had to get a new motherboard and installed it yesterday as a matter of fact which in turn made me have to reinitialize all the drivers from the XP CD and now the damn thing shuts off normally. It has to be some sort of glitch in the registry.