• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PayPal no longer opening office in North Carolina

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Which its fine if they don't want to open an office in NC, its their decision but if they are so appalled by law restricting men to men's bathroom or women to a woman's bathroom why do they have an office in Malaysia. They will send you to jail there for up to 20 years for being gay. They also have offices in other countries not friendly to gays. Guess money trumps rights or they really don't care and just thought they would jump on this bandwagon.

PayPal OK With Office In Malaysia, Where Gays Are Jailed

Personally I think men should be using a mans bathroom or women a woman's bathroom even if you do identify as another sex. This is one area I think gay rights is going too far.

thealigator

Registered Member
I am sorry if this is off topic and if it is please feel free to remove this but this whole argument is confusing me a little. From what I understand of the situation about using a biologically correct bathroom is the using of the bathroom that is designated on your birth certificate. So if you were a transgender man but on your BC you are a woman technically you would be forced to use the female bathroom because that is your "designated sex". To my knowledge this is not about gay rights as such but more about transgender laws. If it were about gay rights surely they would be banning gay men from entering the bathroom of other men for fear?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know what the perfect solution is, but I think this issue is a lot more complicated than just saying "Use the bathroom that matches the gender on your birth certificate."

How about gender-neutral bathrooms? Instead of having male and female bathrooms, have "stalls only" and "stalls and urinals" bathrooms.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe they should just have bathroom that only one person at a time can use. They could still be labeled men and women. Just wouldn't want to be in there with a man I don't care if he does dress like a woman.

If I were using a bathroom with stalls, like so many are, I still don't want a man using it. Often times the door won't lock properly, you can see through the cracks around the doors and under or over them.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Bruce Springsteen has also recently cancelled a show in North Carolina, as has Ringo Starr.

I 100% support Bruce and Ringo and PayPal's decisions to cancel any business in North Carolina. Springsteen has the right to play wherever he wants whenever he wants. He has the right to deny entertainment services to North Carolina based on his world view. Good for him.

However, a baker cannot deny baking a cake for a homosexual couple based on THEIR world view. Seems equality is a one way street.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like it when "celebrities" walk the walk, like The Boss canceling in Greensboro, NC. He's turning down a pay day and disappointing some fans who don't have anything to do with the backwards ass legislation there.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Backwards ass to YOU. The point still remains, if a baker is forced to bake a cake because he's in the business of "baking cakes", how can you support an artist choosing who to entertain? After all, he's in the business of entertainment. He seems just as intolerant as the baker is.

I would argue dudes going into women's bathrooms is extremely backwards ass, but the topic of the thread is the canceling of business rather than the merits of the law itself.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I 100% support Bruce and Ringo and PayPal's decisions to cancel any business in North Carolina. Springsteen has the right to play wherever he wants whenever he wants. He has the right to deny entertainment services to North Carolina based on his world view. Good for him.

However, a baker cannot deny baking a cake for a homosexual couple based on THEIR world view. Seems equality is a one way street.
With all due respect, that's not really an apples to apples comparison. There's a sizable difference between where you do business and who you do business with.

The comparison works better if, say, Bruce Springsteen banned all North Carolinians from attending his concerts. But that's not the case. North Carolinians are still welcome to attend his concerts. He's just not performing in North Carolina.

Alternatively, Bruce Springsteen and other businesses cancelling business in North Carolina would be like a bakery closing up shop and moving to another state which more closely aligns with their political/religious views on gay marriage, not like denying service to a gay couple.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I disagree. If I buy a ticket to a Bruce Springsteen concert, he's doing business with me. In exchange for my money, I get to see him in concert. If he bails because I'm in North Carolina, he's choosing who he's doing business with. Granted it's not exactly analogous, but it's still choosing who you're doing business with.

I should add, a bakery moving to say Texas doesn't solve the problem. There are still gay marriages in Texas, regardless of how most Texans feel. So unlike Bruce Springsteen, the bakery doesn't get a choice.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Springsteen is not excluding a specific group from attending his concert. He is choosing not to perform at all.