Paying rent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No I'm not talking about when you move out of your parents house. What I'm asking here is when you lived or if your staying there right now did you/are you paying rent?

As soon as I graduated high school I started paying rent, I didn't go to College straight after I graduated High School so my parents made me pay rent, at first it wasn't a big amount, but my dad raised it ever so often.

When I went to college I didn't have to pay anymore.

How about you guys?

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

No, I never gave money to my parents. When I left school, I knew I'd be living at home for a year before moving out. I asked them if they wanted me to pay rent and they said no. I think it's because I'm really good with money compared to my brother. If they ever lent me some I'd always pay it back, and I often rejected it when they offered to pay for something. I never got pocket money or anything, partly because I was walking dogs and babysitting for about 4 years before college. Years of that is probably what got me off the hook in terms of rent. That, and I didn't actually manage to get a job until half way through my year out.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I'm paying rent to my mom right now. But I pay for the internet as well. I also have to pay my share of the hydro bill, and the gas money. Once I go back to college my mom says I won't have to pay rent. But I will probably still give her something.

4. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I started paying rent to my parents as soon as I landed my first job, so about a week after I left school.
    I had friends who would earn around the same as me and never paid anything to their parents, in the long run it was good for me knowing that a certain percentage of my money was already spoken for as it did not faze me to much when I moved out and had a larger chunk to pay out.

Some of the guys who never paid anything to parents got in a real mess when they moved out as they had never really been clued in on the fact that what goes into their account was not all for them, a few of them ended up back at home cause they were kicked out for not paying rent as they had spent it.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't pay rent, but I buy groceries and give my siblings rides if needed.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Oh yeah I probably should have mentioned that - when I was home I gave my parents and their friends lots of lifts in my car. I think they went out more than I did, just to take advantage :hah: I also did stuff around the house to help out.

7. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I started paying rent when mum really started to struggle with the bills; when i land myself a job that will last i will give her some more - i also pay for small things like bread when we run out, i bought a new vac once when the other died and i've paid the milkman a few times. I just chip in where i can.

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I started paying rent when I moved out of home at 15. It was only a small amount back then, but it helped me start budgeting my money.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

paying rent to your parents is a concept that doesn't exist over here..

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Just saying, make sure you know what BR is saying. We're not talking about paying rent as kids, but as students just in or out of college.