• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Paula leaving Idol

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I can't really say that this suprises me. The show has definatly run it's course. It was a break out hit and they are all much better off since it came out, but it's over and done with. There are shows now like America Has Talent that has singing/dancing and other things, so why watch one thats only singing?

viLky

ykLiv
I don't want to criticize too harshly, however...:
was reportedly seeking a raise that would make her $12 million a year, or triple her current salary.
That's a lot of dough for what she does. Getting 4 million dollars to give your opinion, criticize and offer advice? Heck, sign me up. I'll even do it for $1oo,ooo a year - or even lower! To negotiate up to 3x what you're getting for the amount of work you do you'd think that if the talks broke down you would just agree to go with the 4 million again, right? Put your pride aside and take the money. Where's the nearest bank, I got this check to cash.

I have no idea what she's thinking. A bit crazy if you ask me... Will she honestly ever get that much dough again in her career?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I can't really say that this suprises me. The show has definatly run it's course. It was a break out hit and they are all much better off since it came out, but it's over and done with. There are shows now like America Has Talent that has singing/dancing and other things, so why watch one thats only singing?
It still seems to be really popular among the people I've heard talking about it recently.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
She doesn't realize that American Idol resurrected her career to begin with. The fact that she was getting 4 million and a brand new career she should be pretty happy. Asking 12 million a year from a dying reality show is just silly if you ask me.

browneyes106

Registered Member
I'm ok with her leaving the show. She was getting really annoying these past couple of years.

viLky

ykLiv
An update to this story:
In the wake of Paula Abdul's surprise exit from American Idol, Simon Cowell has called on a old friend to join him on the judging panel - one Mrs Victoria Beckham.
The former Spice Girl has so far agreed to make one guest appearance on the show for a rumoured £155,000.
Source: Victoria Beckham lands dream role as new America Idol judge | Mail Online

Whoa, it's that true then congratulation to American Idol. I thought they would just keep the three remaining judges and not search for another. Interesting that they're going back to four.

Also, I kind of find it funny that Simon was involved with this. Think he did it out of spite because Paula left and Simon felt hurt? Heh.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
She deserved to get owned after asking for a huge raise like that. She isn't and never was American Idol. Simon Cowell (and quite possibly Ryan Seacrest) is all the show needs to continue. If she thinks otherwise then, well, she's sadly mistaken.

They shouldn't feel bad about sending her packing. The show will do just fine without her.

And guess what? In two years tops, people will be saying "Paula Who?" Nobody buys her music anymore aside from AI fans. She really made a HUGE mistake here. I doubt we'll see her face or name come up anytime soon. Especially to the degree of popularity that she had with AI.

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
And guess what? In two years tops, people will be saying "Paula Who?" Nobody buys her music anymore aside from AI fans. She really made a HUGE mistake here. I doubt we'll see her face or name come up anytime soon. Especially to the degree of popularity that she had with AI.
I agree. Remember the second co-host along with Ryan in the first season? Neither do I. He could have made a killing if he stayed, but he up and quit when he could have gotten more attention, fame and money.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You think asking for 12 million is a lot, well wait till you hear what she was really demanding. She was making 2.5 million a year, which is low compared to show of the other judges like Simon. But she was demanding 20 million a year, that's right not 12 but 20 million a year. She was surprised that the creators of the show said no to her. Now reports are that she as a gig in Las Vegas. Don't know much of the details though.