Paul Gilbert in Gran Canaria

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jabato, May 14, 2007.

1. Jabato

Jabato Guest

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I went to a concert last night. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Paul Gilbert live in Gran Canaria.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have never heard about this guy before last month, when one of my friend gave me a donwloaded 6 minutes videoclip from the net. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Last night me and two of my cousin drove for 15 minutes to get to the concert hall. When we arrived, I found highly suspicious to see lots of guys with long hair, earings, wearing heavy metal T-shirts, black leather jackets and boots, and I said to my cousins, "Folks, I'm afraid that, perhaps, this is not gonna be what we expected" I felt a very important "heavy metal atmosphere"[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyway, we got into the concert hall and we sat down in our seats.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The first impression I got was that my ears were not going to be very happy after the concert.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On stage I saw two Marshall JCM-900 amps, plugged into a two 4x12 amps cabinet just for Gilbert's guitar. I thought it was too many watts for that tiny concert hall. When it finished, me and my ears realized I was right.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The bass guitar rig consisted in two Ampeg amps heads, plugged into two 4x12 cabinets, plus another 6x12. The bass guitar rig, really scared me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](I don't know if "rig" is corectly used or not)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There was also an asian girl on the keyboards and an amazing drum player.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So Gilbert came out on the stage and he began the concert, showing a playing technic that, for sure, demands between 8 and 10 hours of practise every day that I had never seen before live.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He used 3/4 different guitars, all of them Ibanez. Even a double neck guitar and I thought Gilbert was trying to get blood from those necks with his agressive playing and his very powerful chords.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I could hardly see his fingers, even when I was near the stage. Scales and scales all along the neck of the several guitars he played, apergios, incredibles bendings to a level that I was expecting the string to break up. What a superb guitarist! [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The bassists' playing was not from this world. Very agressive playing too, sometimes using a pick, sometimes using his fingers only, but folks, the sound that came out from that bass guitar, hit my chest again and again.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As soon as the concert went on and on, I found that Gilbert's virtuosity was out of any question, like the rest of his band, but Gilbert's music had no feeling. It sounded to me "cold". I had the same impression that when I listen Satriani or Vai. Superb players, but cold music from them. No soul.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Suddenly, Gilbert told the audience: "And our next song is a heavy metal one" [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]And I said to myself, this next one only? For God's sake, it's been heavy metal from the very beggining of the concert.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I soon lost interest in the concert -too much virtuosity and no soul- and found myself wondering why the fitht string of my guitar keeps out of tune, since last week, when Paul said "thank you for coming to the concert, you can get our new CD in the entrance of the concert hall and bla, bla, bla"[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We left the building with a high noise in our ears and we drove back home. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The conclusion is that I'll never buy a Paul Gilbert's CD. Perhaps I'm too old for heavy metal.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

2. SgtCrom

SgtCrom Registered Member

Nothing to say.

3. Jabato

Jabato Guest

SgtCrom wrote:
    Even back then, Gilbert was just another boring electric virtuoso.

Well, after 10 minutes I reached the same conclusion.

SgtCrom wrote:
    From your description of the concert, Gilbert hasn't grown a bit as a musician.

I had only listen to his music twice before I saw him live, but, there was no difference between the videoclip I watched the week before and the concert itself. Lot of virtuosity, total lack of soul.

SgtCrom wrote:
    I like good songwriting, so I've never been fond of guys like Gilbert, Vai, Jason Becker or Yngwie Malmsteen. To my ear, all they do is play scales really fast. Whoopideedoo! I used to enjoy some Satriani tunes from "Surfing with the Alien" and "Flying in a Blue Dream", but they didn't have much lasting power. Ultimately, I have to agree with you that Satriani's playing is cold and boring too.

I fully agree with you.
    Vai dind't get much about how making good songs, from all the years he spent playing with Frank Zappa and living in his house.

SgtCrom wrote:
    If you like incredible virtuosity ACCOMPANIED by good songwriting (or song choices), I recommend Al DiMeola (Return to Forever, Super Guitar Trio etc.), [​IMG]
    I know it, Sergeant!

SgtCrom wrote:
    I've been finding a lot of great music on Youtube and Google video lately. The absolute best show I've ever been to was to see Al DiMeola's Super Guitar Trio in Georgetown in '90. At the show they said they were taping it. For years I searched for this music but never found it. Then, a few days ago, I found the video on Google video. Turns out that they went with the show that they recorded in Cambridge, Mass., but it's still the same music.
    Go to Google video and put "Super Guitar Trio" in the search box. Your ears will be glad you did.

Thanks a lot for your recomendations and for your input