Patriots put franchise tag on QB Cassel

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You're also assuming Brady is going to be healthy in time for the season. Not to mention, did you read the article BR, or just the title?

If they're confident Brady will be ready, they could trade Cassel rather than pay him the $14.65 million offer for 2009 in the franchise designation.

It's not a guarantee he's getting that money. What I'm truly afraid of is if management pulls a dipshit move and decides to trade Brady (which is frightening that people are even thinking that in the first place).

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah I read the article, but do you think anyone is going to trade for Cassel when he's getting paid that much. I dont know if a lot of teams would be willing to take that contract.

The Patriots organization have made some great moves in recent years, if they trade Brady, it would be the dumbest move ever. He's arguably the best quarterback in the NFL, he's led this team to three Super Bowls. There's no way they should trade him.

4. Merc

BR, if you read the article, you're not getting it. The 14 million is for the franchise designation. If he gets traded, that team is not required to pay him that.

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah I think this move had to be made...he's the insurance policy if Brady can't go next year. They almost had to do it...its not worth taking the chance.

6. Merc

This is mainly what I'm getting at. Brady is telling people he'll be good but I still don't know. That's a seriously bad injury he suffered and he needs the appropriate time to work it out.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah the knee is nothing to mess with. Even this day in age its possible to blow out your knee and never fully recover. Brady has to say he'll be ready to go...nobody wants to hear the opposite.

Cassel was above average last year. Why not? He's proven he can work in this offense and they should have been a playoff team if not for a stacked division.

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not to confident that Brady is gonna be ready for next season. I mean its been a while since I've ready any major reports on him but last I heard he was having some real irritating complications with the results of the Surgery.

Cassell may not have been the greatest QB the Pats have had in a while, but for a guy who hadnt started since high school.... I thought he did have decent at least. You wanna talk about rust, the guy was a backup at USC and a backup for Tom Brady :hah: It took him about half the season, which for the pats was to long... but by that other half Im pretty sure I saw more promise in him. I'd have to say most of it was just his team learning to trust him.