• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pat Tillman to Canton?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A push to induct Pat Tillman into the Pro Football Hall of Fame isn't the most meaningful way to honor his memory. - ESPN

Just finished reading this debate. Personally, I don't believe that Tillman belongs in the Hall of Fame. Don't get me wrong, what he did for his country, leaving the NFL and joining the army is pretty admirable. But instead the NFL should create a memorial of some sort for NFL players that have died for defending there country.

The Hall of Fame is for players that contributed on the Football field and excelled at a high level and accomplished a lot of great feats.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tend to agree with you on this one, BR.

I mean he's an American hero for what he did and all that but the NFL Hall of Fame is for those who performed on the field. There are other things they could do for him that would be better I think.

Comet

Registered Member
I wouldn't mind seeing Tillman in the HoF. There's no harm in it, would be a great honor for a man who gave all and a true class move by the NFL.

While it's true the HoF is for accomplishments and achievements on the field sometimes exceptions must be made under the right circumstances. I believe this to be one of those moments.

"Exceptions are not always the proof of the old rule; they can also be the harbinger of a new one" - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I believe that he should be in Canton, but not in the Hall itself. I think they should build a memorial around the HoF for him in some shape or form. It would be a good decision.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Where does it stop though? Like I mentioned earlier, it would be great to have something there honoring those players who have defended this country, but inducting them into the HOF is not the right way to do it.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm with BR, he doesn't belong in the HOF. Put a memorial or something in his hometown.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm going to disagree. The HOF is not just for accomplishments on the field. The Hall inducts people not for what they did on the field, such as Al Davis, Tex Schramm, Pete Rozelle, but for what they meant to the game, as owners, general managers, and commissioners. Who was a better ambassador for the game, and life, than Pat Tillman? Who made the NFL that much better and prouder, who brought more attention to the league, than someone who selfishly gave up his NFL career and millions of dollars, to do the right thing?

Pat Tillman, because of how much of an ambassador he was for the game by showing serving your country and doing something selfishly, is bigger than football, belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I think it waters down the significance of the Football Hall of Fame if he gets accepted or if he is even seriously considered. The football HoF purpose is not to honor the military accomplishments of athletes or former althletes. He departed the NFL and abandoned his NFL career prematurely to enter the army. I am not saying that isn't noble but honoring him in an athletic hall of fame is simply misplaced. It would be similar to honoring a mediocre economist with a Nobel prize because he made a major patriotric contribution to his homeland.

The HoF is suppose to be mostly an objective decisionmaking body with some subjectivity. It isn't suppose to inject a high amount of subjectivity in their selections, there are several other players that then could be considered. Last time I checked O.J. Simpson was still in the HoF. There are plenty of people with questionable moral and ethical standards in the HoF, it has no purpose being in the decision-making process.

Tillman was also completely sensationalized by the media as an American hero, but the reality is he was KIA by friendly combatants and it was covered up until relatively recently. He made a noble decision, even if it was unneccessary and ended tragically.
------
Also there are plenty of football players that donate their money to charities, love their families, and make a visible contribution to the betterment of their community and society as a whole. And those that had mediocre accomplishments on the field are not in the Hall of Fame. "Hero" is a very subjective term and I would consider them more heroic than Tillman.

Last edited:

Bramaca

Registered Member
I don't think either the HoF or a memorial should be done without asking permission from the family. They aren't too happy with the government or the military and how they covered up the story from the family and then used his death as a promotion tool using lies. Something like this they might view as a continuation of this.

There is a really good documentary that was made from his families side called the Pat Tillman Story.

BigBob

Registered Member
Also there are plenty of football players that donate their money to charities, love their families, and make a visible contribution to the betterment of their community and society as a whole. And those that had mediocre accomplishments on the field are not in the Hall of Fame. "Hero" is a very subjective term and I would consider them more heroic than Tillman.
So you think someone who donates money to charity is more heroic then someone who is willing to give up everything and risk his life for his country? That doesn't make too much sense now does it?

I'm going to disagree. The HOF is not just for accomplishments on the field. The Hall inducts people not for what they did on the field, such as Al Davis, Tex Schramm, Pete Rozelle, but for what they meant to the game, as owners, general managers, and commissioners. Who was a better ambassador for the game, and life, than Pat Tillman? Who made the NFL that much better and prouder, who brought more attention to the league, than someone who selfishly gave up his NFL career and millions of dollars, to do the right thing?

Pat Tillman, because of how much of an ambassador he was for the game by showing serving your country and doing something selfishly, is bigger than football, belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame.
I think CO hit the nail on the head.

If Joe Namath is in the Hall-of-Fame, then Pat Tillman deserves to be in the Hall-of-Fame. Not only did Namath do absolutely nothing on the field, he made an even bigger ass of himself off of it.