• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Past Participle

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
In one of the threads here, I found this sentence that to me is grammatically incorrect.

If we drunk ground coffee a lot, I could justify buying a grinder for that.
The verb drunk is actually in past participle and not in the simple past tense.
In the conditional sentence we have here, I think the simple past of the verb "drink" would be more correct.

So, I think it goes like "If we drank coffee, I could justify ... ".

A few posters here [one native British and the other native American] said they didn't know what past participle is.
:shifteyes:

What am I missing here? Howcome they didn't know it?
Maybe I'm incorrect?

p.s. for those who are not familiar with P.Part.
Participle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
As I said, I was never taught it in my school. This may or may not be attributed to the fact that I never went to a private school.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Storm, this is not about you personally. I just wanted to clarify if I'm wrong about what I know and what is grammatically correct in that sentence. :)

It helps us both.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
[one native British and the other native American] :shifteyes:
Are you referring to me as the other person? You know I am not native American right? :shake:

And just so we clear, I am aware that "drank" should have been used in that sentence, but I have not heard of the term past participle... :shifteyes:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Storm, this is not about you personally. I just wanted to clarify if I'm wrong about what I know and what is grammatically correct in that sentence. :)

It helps us both.
I was only answering the part where you ask "how come they didn't know it?"

Can't exactly get offended or blame myself when I wasn't taught it, can I?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
:lol: sorry CG ... for a moment I forgot you are from South Africa. ... but it doesn't really matter who the persons were ... really ...

Though I find it strange that none of you has heard about that term haha ...

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
:lol: sorry CG ... for a moment I forgot you are from South Africa. ... but it doesn't really matter who the persons were ... really ...

Though I find it strange that none of you has heard about that term haha ...
Don't make that mistake again... :lol:

I even Wiki'd that term after I saw you used it and I can categorically state that I was not taught that term in school either. I wonder what the term is in Afrikaans?? Mmmm

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Can't exactly get offended or blame myself when I wasn't taught it, can I?
No you can't blame yourself. It's just strange because using simple past in that sentence is a basic rule for that type of conditional.

or maybe in British you have a slightly-different grammatical rule??

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I knew there was a difference, but I'm also pretty sure I've never heard that term before. I don't really recognise it, like Storm, never got taught it in school.

Edit: It's not uncommon for people who have learnt a foreign language (and not native) to be better at knowing specific terms for the grammar rules etc.

Last edited: