• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pass rate

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
The US schooling system is a complete mystery to me. I probably won't ever get how it works, because it's just so different than here in SA.

But my question is this. What is the pass rate for exams/subjects in school, college and university (assuming they are different).

Over here, in school, you get to chose between taking a subject on higher or standard grade. The tests on higher grade are more difficult to pass and has a higher pass rate. 40% is pass for higher grade and 33% will pass you on standard grade. University is different, in that there is only one level of difficulty, if you want to call it that, and the pass rate is 50%.

I actually find all if this ridiculous. To graduate from school with only knowing 33 or even 40 percent of what you were taught is just scandalous. I hope this pass rate is higher in the States?

After school, I studied at an International College, that followed an American curriculum. The pass rate there was 80%, which I think is unreasonably high, but at least if you pass that, you know you know the majority of what you learned.

So how does the grading work in the US of A? Other countries are welcome to respond as well with how it works there. ;)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Unless its changed lately in high school its 60% (D) and college I believe its 70% (C). I have to say that 40% seems too low and 80% is too high.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Averaging at 40% won't get you into college/varsity though. You would need to have an average of 60% for that. So that's good at least. But 60% for a pass rate seems more reasonable. And I think 70% for college is also a very reasonable pass rate. That makes much more sense than here. :-/

Piddles

Registered Member
So how does the grading work in the US of A? Other countries are welcome to respond as well with how it works there. ;)
I believe here it was 60% in High School then 70% in College also.. But here recently when talking with kids now in school they are informing me they are not really learning anything they are memorizing stuff for these new tests they have to take in order to proceed to the next grade, do they have those there?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What, like one specific test that if you pass it you go to the next grade? And your other tests, exams and assignments don't count? No, we definitely don't have that. That's even worse, imo. So you get to be useless at a subject but cram in one test worth and pass?

Piddles

Registered Member
What, like one specific test that if you pass it you go to the next grade? And your other tests, exams and assignments don't count? No, we definitely don't have that. That's even worse, imo. So you get to be useless at a subject but cram in one test worth and pass?
Like I think its a Proficiency test or something along those lines. Not 100% sure. Just hear around here in the local schools that is what they are working on to get students to pass them.

dDave

V.I.P.
You can't just cram one test worth. If you weren't already decent at the subject then you really don't have any reasonable chance at passing that section of the test.

The sections are usually Math, Science, Reading, Writing.

The two most common tests in America are the SAT and the ACT. The SAT is used a lot more by colleges out East and the ACT much more so in the Midwest and the West.

I actually got a decent score on the ACT while I had a temperature of 104.

Unless its changed lately in high school its 60% (D) and college I believe its 70% (C). I have to say that 40% seems too low and 80% is too high.
Out of the 4 schools I've been to, 2 of them actually had passing at a 79% as opposed to 60 or 70. It was kind of ridiculous. The range for each grade letter was only 7 % instead of 10%, made it really hard for some people.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
So you wouldn't do SAT's and ACT's? Are those tests done every year or more than one year, or only the year before you would be eligible to go to college to see if you are accepted to college?

dDave

V.I.P.
So you wouldn't do SAT's and ACT's? Are those tests done every year or more than one year, or only the year before you would be eligible to go to college to see if you are accepted to college?
You can take both, just one, or neither. It really depends on what colleges you want to go to and their various requirements. Generally, the tests are taken your Senior year of High School but you can take them multiple times (usually it'll cost you money to take it more than once).

I only ever took the ACT because I already knew exactly what college I was going to before ever taking the tests. Taking the SAT would have been a waste of money for me.

Don't think that these are easy tests or anything. This isn't material that you can just cram and learn real quick to pass a test. These tests are long, very difficult, and unless you've been doing consistently well in school then you won't do well on these tests.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My son took the SAT and he did very well, 31 out of 35 or 36 can't remember there, but he got all kinds of scholarships and college didn't cost him anything. Well worth the money I paid for him to take it. I had to talk him into taking it too.