• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Partition issues!

Studio61

Hi, im having some trouble creating a partition to run XP on, my pc keeps creating a 'RAW' partition thus not allowing me to install XP, any clues what im doing wrong, as ive now wiped my PC and can not re-install windows!! any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Boot up the XP cd, and start installation over. From scratch. Since you've already lost everything, this isn't a big deal for you. When you get to your options, delete your partitions that are there so that everything shows up as "Unpartitioned Space." Then, you just select that space to install XP on it, it formats it to NTFS, and you have a nice, clean install of XP in about half an hour.

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
@ ScubaSteve - Will this tip work also for dual booting?

@ Andrew - Is Partion Magic safe to use with any versions of Windows Vista?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Yes, it will. Install the older operating system first, then you can change the partitions with the older operating system, and install the second OS on the newer drive.

And RAW is simply unformatted data, you have to format that to NTFS somehow. You may need a Windows boot disk and use Fdisk to convert it all to NTFS and set up some partitions.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
As far as I know it doesn't matter what OS you are using. It's a hard drive utility that doesn't effect the OS.

It's also put out by Norton so I would assume they would be on top of any incompatibility issues that it had with Vista, which as far as I know are none.

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
Sweet!! :lol: Thank you both. My Dell has a 3.0 rating with Vista Home Basic so it should kick tail with XP when I throw it in.