• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Particles recorded going faster than light

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Going faster than light is something that is just not supposed to happen, according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity. The speed of light — 186,282 miles per second — has long been considered a cosmic speed limit.

The team — a collaboration between France's National Institute for Nuclear and Particle Physics Research and Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory — fired a neutrino beam 454 miles underground from Geneva to Italy.

They found it traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than light. That's sixty billionth of a second, a time no human brain could register.
Faster than light measurement shocks physicists - CBS News

Science fiction still lives!

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I had posted this in the "Is time travel Possible" thread when someone mentioned that nothing travels faster than Light.

I absolutely love it when we get these Rule changing breakthroughs. Just goes to show how little we actually know about the universe we share.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Dang. It seems like as I grow older, more and more things I thought were undisputable facts are now wrong. I'm still adjusting to the revised list of planets, haha. Someone made a cartoon on fb about E=MC2 probably not true anymore. Is that related to this and is that an exaggeration?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Give it a few years. Granted, I haven't kept up to date on this recently, but when I first read about it, it was a one time thing. Let's see if scientists can consistently reproduce it first, and if they can, then we can start getting excited.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Just the fact that it could even theoretically happen is big news, even if it's never replicated.

It would be like if we discovered a place where gravity repelled instead of attracting objects. Even if it's the only place like that in the universe, the fact that it exists changes SO much.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Just the fact that it could even theoretically happen is big news, even if it's never replicated.
Not really, because for all we know, it could be due to a fuck up with their equipment, causing it to give back a false reading.