Parlez-vous français?

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by ysabel, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Since we have this new forum, might as well put it to use. :lol:

Do you speak French? What level would you consider your proficiency in the language?

What is the hardest thing for you to learn about the French language?

If you don't speak it yet, does the language interest you? Why?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I took French from 6th to 10th grade and I've forgotten almost everything I learned. I went to France when I still knew everything and I didn't even need it. Most people there would rather speak to you in English.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Surely you must have retained some basics like introductions. I think the people you met are the ones who are excited to practice their English without thinking you may have wanted to practice your French.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I remember some basic questions and comments and a decent amount of the simple vocabulary, but I've forgotten almost all of the grammar and verb conjugations.

5. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

i have very little french. i used to be ok but i've forgotten most of it since school. occasionally french people with no english would come into the shop and i'd do my best to deal with them. sometimes i do ok, though i have said stupid things like "that's 17 o clock please" or "everyone is 2 euros" only to realise afterwards why they were looking at me so strangely...

ysabel likes this.
  6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I can already imagine how that sounded. :lol:

I taught my friend that we always greet people here when you go in and out of a store. Bonjour/Bonsoir, Au revoir. Then she tried to practice it one time and I heard her saying Bovoir to the merchant as we left the store. :p

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

MY official language is french, I talk in french at home. But most of my friends are english, there's only a few people that I actually talk to in french.

I believe I'm loosing a bit of french because I don't speak it as much as I used to. It's hard for me to write in french sometimes as well.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I forgot that your original language was French. So do you have a French accent when you speak in English? Do you know many people who speak English who live near you or do you usually speak in only French in real life?

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

He speaks French to me in the poker and chatroom. Or is that "he writes French to me" :rotfl:

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No I don't have a french accent, when I speak english to strangers a lot of them are pretty surprise that my first language is french.

When I'm not in my house I usually speak english. Most of my friends are english and so are my co-workers. But at my house I always speak french.

It's about 50/50 when it comes to english and french people in my area.